Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello friends! I'm Brazilian and my english is poor. :/

I have a doubt. In a interview, Steve Harris, the founder of the band IRON MAIDEN, explain the origin of the name of the band.

"How come selecting the name IRON MAIDEN??"

Steve Harris: "Well, you know, it's like a medieval torture device. It's like a big case with spikes in it."

Why he speak "like"??? (An Iron Maiden is EXACTLY a medieval torture device!)

a) He selected the name iron maiden because this name approximate (this is not exactly from the medieval torture device) the medieval torture device of the same name, but the real reason of the choice of this name is not the medieval torture device.

b) He selected the name IRON MAIDEN exactly from the medieval torture device of the same name. (He use the word like because a habit of speech?????).

WHY HE USE THE WORD "LIKE"??????????????????????????????

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
not a teacher

I thought the word is simple enough?
like - similar to
It's using comparison to describe something.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
a) He selected the name iron maiden because this name approximate (this is not exactly from the medieval torture device) the medieval torture device of the same name, but the real reason of the choice of this name is not the medieval torture device.

b) He selected the name IRON MAIDEN exactly from the medieval torture device of the same name. (He use the word like because a habit of speech?????).

WHY HE USE THE WORD "LIKE"??????????????????????????????
I think b. is right. "Like" is used as an interjection in very informal speech.
So the interviewer's like "Why Iron Maiden?", and he's like, "An iron maiden is like, you know, a mediaeval torture device."

He's not talking about similarity. He's, like, saying it is a mediaeval torture device.

I don't advise using this word like this!

BRENOIRONMAIDEN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
So, on this case,

"Well, you know, it's like a medieval torture device. It's like a big case with spikes in it." = "Well, you know, it's a medieval torture device. It's a big case with spikes in it."

??

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So, on this case,

"Well, you know, it's ... like ... a medieval torture device. It's ... like ... a big case with spikes in it." = "Well, you know, it's a medieval torture device. It's a big case with spikes in it."

??
Yes, with the punctuation. You don't hear that in speech. It's used somewhat like 'er' or 'um'.

Status
Not open for further replies.