Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi all,
I was dealing with an accademic article a while ago, and the editor suggested me to have a check on the English to make it better. After they reviewd, I noticed that they removed the sentence "in order to" every time I used it.
Phrases like:
- "...a series of experimental tests conducted in order to evaluate the algorithm... "
became:
- "...a series of experimental tests conducted to evaluate the algorithm... ".

Is there something wrong with this phrase that I completely ignore, or it was just a suggestion not to make the text too much verbose?

Thanks,
-Fabio

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,
I was dealing with an academic article a while ago, and the editor suggested I check the English to make it better. After [Use either he or she. One person is not a they.] reviewed it, I noticed that [Use either he or she] removed the sentence "in order to" every time I used it.
Phrases like:
- "...a series of experimental tests conducted in order to evaluate the algorithm... "
became:
- "...a series of experimental tests conducted to evaluate the algorithm... ".

Is there something wrong with this phrase that I completely missed, or it was just a suggestion not to make the text too [Delete "much."] verbose?

Thanks,
-Fabio

Hi, Fabio!

As soon as I saw your headline, my first thought was: "in order to" is bad usage.

So yes, it's a problem of style, not grammar.

It means nothing more than "to" means. Other than that, it's only use is to slow down readers - a sort of speed bump. Sometimes that's useful. For instance, if you're writing a contract you don't want a customer or client to read carefully, you'll fill it with speed bumps.

Or you might be an academic who only wants to be read by students and other academics and who enjoys making readers work hard. Then verbosity might be your friend.

And a lot of writers just use big words and unneeded phrases to sound smart.

But if you want to write clearly, to be read, to communicate, it's better to keep your English clear and concise.

attachment.php

Attachments

• speed bump.jpeg
    speed bump.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

fbs88italy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
That was the best answer I ever received. Thanks a lot!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's fine to use they to mean one person of unknown gender unless your editor says otherwise.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't seen the singular "they" in any American grammar book. Maybe it's okay in British English. There's a Cambridge grammar book I've been meaning to track down.

But whether it's standard or not, it's certainly natural conversational English and an attractive shortcut. So, FBS, it's your choice.

(And GS and I will continue to correct each other, which I hope will entertain students as much as it entertains us!)

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Maybe it's simply alright in English, even though some people don't like it. Do you need to see something in an American grammar book before you'll use it?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Great question! As I've said before, learning to speak a language is like learning to play jazz. First you learn the rules cold. Then you break them.

There was a very reasonable post recently from someone who sees and hears "He don't . . ." and "She don't . . . ." all the time and asked whether it's okay to use them. We said that it's common, it's done everywhere, it's conversational, and it's understandable.

We also said don't do it! Learn standard English first - THEN mess around with it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Maybe it's okay in British English.

It generally is- we tend to be more relaxed about singular/plural issues than many American speakers. However, in this context, some people in academia prefer he or she. I remember that I was criticised for using the singular they in a dissertation, but that was the only occasion I can remember when this happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.