Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can I say "45 years young woman" ? Or it's better do the classic way "45 years old woman" ?

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
**Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker**

Maybe, it would be done to compliment a 45 years old woman by playing on the word "old". But I don't think that it makes your phrase grammatical.

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can I say "45 years young woman" ? Or it's better do the classic way "45 years old woman" ?

We'd normally use the phrase, "A forty five year old woman."

Notice, year not years.

Sometimes if we want to stress that someone seems to be a lot younger than they are, we might describe them as being.......

Sixty five years young

but that's just a way of flattering that particular person, it's certainly not a general way of giving a person's age.

buggles (not a teacher)

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
If you feel that using the word old will offend, you could say a woman at age 45. A woman aged 45.

I am not a teacher, and I am waaaayyyy past 45, I find our collective hangup with women's ages and weights a real bore. I celebrate the fact that I am still looking at the grass from the top.

buggles

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you feel that using the word old will offend, you could say a woman at age 45. A woman aged 45.

I am not a teacher, and I am waaaayyyy past 45, I find our collective hangup with women's ages and weights a real bore. I celebrate the fact that I am still looking at the grass from the top.

In the UK, it's customary to say, e.g. "I'm thirty years old" or "She's a forty year old woman" and this carries no offensive connotations.

Similarly, I don't mind how old I am just as long as I keep getting older! ;-)

Incidentally, we'd usually say, "A woman of age forty five".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How silly. You would never think "a 4-year-old boy" implies old. Why would you assume "a 43-year-old woman" implies old? The "43-years-young" is just a play on words to emphasize someone's youthful attitude.

Rona 12

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
that's what I thought but I was asking on behalf of someone who thinks that once u say old it really means old.

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Really cool the expression : looking the grass from the top

I'll make a note of it (?) :lol:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
that's what I thought but I was asking on behalf of someone who thinks that once u say old it really means old.

Rona, go back and ask that person what they think someone means when they say the have a six-week-old baby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.