Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

Do you think it's correct to modify a gerund phrase with an if-clause?

E.g. Buying a Rolls Royce if I were a millionaire sounds so great.

The idea of winning 20 million dollars if he were to hit the jackpot always pleases him.

I'd appreciate your help.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You've been here long enough to know that you are the one who needs to come up with an example!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Your sentences don't sound natural.
You can say, "Dying in ICU would be awful if I couldn't have my loved-ones around me."
We wouldn't say "The idea of dying in ICU if I couldn't have my loved-ones around me is awful."
We might say, "The idea of dying in ICU without my loved ones around me is awful." (No "if".)

Still, there are possible sentences. You might use this construction in speech. I'd avoid it.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Your sentences don't sound natural.
You can say, "Dying in ICU would be awful if I couldn't have my loved-ones around me."
We wouldn't say "The idea of dying in ICU if I couldn't have my loved-ones around me is awful."
We might say, "The idea of dying in ICU without my loved ones around me is awful." (No "if".)

Still, there are possible sentences. You might use this construction in speech. I'd avoid it.

The sentences in post #1 are clunky. If they are still correct, I'm wondering whether such sentences are attested in corpora.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
E.g. Buying a Rolls Royce if I were a millionaire sounds so great.

NOT A TEACHER

I believe that your sentence should read something like: "If I were a millionaire, I would buy a new Rolls Royce every year" or "If I were a millionaire, buying a new Rolls Royce every year would give me great pleasure."

When you say "If I were a millionaire," you are saying that you are not a millionaire. Therefore, in the rest of the sentence you need to use "would" or "could." When you get some extra time, please read up on the topic of the subjunctive mood.

By the way, if you wish to put "If I were a millionaire" in the middle of your sentence, you will need to use commas: "Buying a new Rolls Royce every year, if I were a millionaire, would give me great pleasure."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good suggestions above.
Hi,

E.g. Buying a Rolls Royce if I were a millionaire sounds [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] great.

For casual conversation, it's fine. More formally, the sequence doesn't make sense, because the two ideas should go hand in hand. Either buying a Rolls sounds great or it doesn't. Ditto for being a millionaire. So it wants to be more parallel or sequencial — something like:

- Being a millionaire and buying a Rolls Royce sound great.
- Being a millionaire so I can buy a Rolls sounds great.

The idea of winning 20 million dollars if he were to hit the jackpot always pleases him.

It's the same logic problem. If he wins, he'll be pleased. If he doesn't, he won't.

And it's probably not the idea that pleases him. If he wins, then he'll be pleased.

I'd appreciate your help.
Hi, Ray!

I've never heard anyone say we can't use gerund-plus-if sentences. Those two are shaky, but that doesn't mean there aren't better examples.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The sentences were composed to describe someone along the lines of Aesop's milkmaid.
I suppose ideas about improbable events can be appealing.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
it's basically about a woman who indulges in daydreams.
However improbable, they are pleasant to the daydreamer.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't count your chickens ….

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It's the daydream of the milkmaid, not the moral of the story, that the sentences are intended to mimic.

The whole concept "buying a Rolls Royce if I were megarich" is what sounds so great. It sounds great even though it's improbable or impossible.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I think it could be done if the modifying if-clause within the nominal -ing clause were preceded by even:

[Buying a Rolls Royce even if you knew you would have very little money left over] would demonstrate true love for that brand of car.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think it could be done if the modifying if-clause within the nominal -ing clause were preceded by even:

[Buying a Rolls Royce even if you knew you would have very little money left over] would demonstrate true love for that brand of car.

Is it possible to use the indicative mood in the main clause of the above sentence?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's the daydream of the milkmaid, not the moral of the story, that the sentences are intended to mimic.

The whole concept "buying a Rolls Royce if I were megarich" is what sounds so great. It sounds great even though it's improbable or impossible.
I only like "megarich" if it's a valley girl saying it. Otherwise, it sounds too valley-girl.

Does this have to do with your farmer's daughter question?

Status
Not open for further replies.