Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,

This is just a training of how we can describe either a consonant or a vowel of a beginner student;-).

For consonant:

The sound /r/ is a post-alveolar approximant, a roll/trill and a voiced sound.

The sound /s/ is an alveolar (the tongue tip or less the tongue blade approches the alveolar ridge but in practise it touches the lower teeth)ficative and unvoiced sound.

The sound /m/ is a balabial, nasal and voiced sound.

Concerning the vowel:

/ɑ :/ is a open,low, back, unrounded and long vowel.

/ɪ/ ( some people write it with a dot like this /i/ Is it correct) is a close, high, front, unrounded, and a short vowel.

/e/( As in bed, the symbol /e/ is represented also by/ɛ/) is a front, unrounded, and short vowel.

Could you please tell me if my description is correct?

All the best

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
/ɪ/ ( some people write it with a (point) dot like this /i/ Is it correct?)
/i:/ is the sound heard in me, see, be
/i/ is the sound heard in happy, radiation
/ɪ/
is the sound heard in pit, sin
/e/( As in bed, the symbol /e/ is represented also by/ɛ/)
the sound heard in red, head, leisure is usually transcribed phonemically in the UK as /e/; some writers use /ɛ/ for this sound.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
/i:/ is the sound heard in me, see, be
/i/ is the sound heard in happy, radiation
/ɪ/ is the sound heard in pit, sin

This is the first time I hear that there is a difference between them, really I cannot see it, I have searched in the internet but I did not find anything, also, I have watched some videos but they did not mention that there is an /i/ and /ɪ/.

YouTube - ‪IPA VOWELS‬‏

Thank you my teacher, you are always here to help us.
Thank you again.
For point, I thought it is like frensh, I'll correct it.
So, can we say it is correct.
All the best

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
This is the first time I hear that there is a difference between them, really I cannot see it, I have searched in the internet but I did not find anything, also, I have watched some videos but they did not mention that there is an /i/ and /ɪ/.
These words have the three sounds mentioned above and their pronunciation. :)
happy
fill
feel

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
These words have the three sounds mentioned above and their pronunciation. :)
happy
fill
feel
Thank you very much, so how can I see the difference between them especially when you listen to somebody?
Concerning the description of the vowels and the consonant above ,I wonder if it is correct.
Regards,

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you very much, so how can I see the difference between them especially when you listen to somebody?

I understand through context.

If someone tells me: “I feel happy today.” I know they are uttering feel, not fill.

If they tell me: “Fill in this form, please.” I know that feel is impossible in that context.

This page: BBC Learning English | Pronunciation Tips will help you practise the sounds. :)

Concerning the description of the vowels and the consonant above, I wonder if it is correct.

IMO, it is correct. I´d say that /s/ is an alveolar fricative...

Regards,
m.

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
/e/( As in bed, the symbol /e/ is represented also by/ɛ/) is a front, unrounded, and short vowel.

That's what British dictionaries use, but the correct IPA vowel is /ɛ/. /e/ does not exist by itself in English.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Thank you mara_ce for sharing your time and your concerns.

I understand through context.

If someone tells me: “I feel happy today.” I know they are uttering feel, not fill.

If they tell me: “Fill in this form, please.” I know that feel is impossible in that context.
Yes, I do too, from the context you can understand the meaning, but what I meant is, for examle when somebody say *typically* The first is /ɪ/ and the second is/i/ so how can I know this difference if I do not know the transcription before?
This page: BBC Learning English | Pronunciation Tips will help you practise the sounds.

Concerning these videos as well as the others, she only compare /ɪ/ which is short to the long vowel /i:/.And as you can see she never mentioned the/i/.

Have a nice day

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
That's what British dictionaries use, but the correct IPA vowel is /ɛ/. /e/ does not exist by itself in English.
Thank you very much thatone.
All the best for you,

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
* The first is /ɪ/ and the second is/i/ so how can I know this difference if I do not know the transcription before?
Hi, symaa.

You´re right. I couldn´t find a description of it either.

What my book, Gimson´s Pronunciation of English, says about it is:

in such final unaccented positions, e.g. in city, lady, memory, /ɪ / is increasingly replaced by a short variety of /i:/ by many speakers. (The contrast between /ɪ /and /i:/ is in any case neutralized in word-final position, so no ambiguity arises from such pronunciations.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The correct IPA synmbol for the vowel in BrE 'bed' is not /ɛ/. This vowel, which dictionaries and course books transcribe phonemically as /e/ or/ɛ/ has no symbol on the standard IPA chart. In general BrE RP it is somewhere between the cardinal vowels [ɛ] and [e], slightly closer to the former.

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
The correct IPA synmbol for the vowel in BrE 'bed' is not /ɛ/. This vowel, which dictionaries and course books transcribe phonemically as /e/ or/ɛ/ has no symbol on the standard IPA chart. In general BrE RP it is somewhere between the cardinal vowels [ɛ] and [e], slightly closer to the former.

It might not be exactly /ɛ/ (I don't think there's any English vowel that's exactly the IPA symbol it's represented by, except maybe for the schwa), but it certainly is much closer to that than to /e/.

This website has pretty accurate transcriptions (IMO) and uses [ɛ] for both RP and many other English dialects.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hi, symaa.

You´re right. I couldn´t find a description of it either.

What my book, Gimson´s Pronunciation of English, says about it is:

in city, lady, memory /i/ I think we can find almost the time, if I am not wrong,/i/ at the end of words which ended by Y
Thaks a lot mara;-),

in such final unaccented positions, e.g. in city, lady, memory, /ɪ / is increasingly replaced by a short variety of /i:/ by many speakers. (The contrast between /ɪ /and /i:/ is in any case neutralized in word-final position, so no ambiguity arises from such pronunciations.) :-?:-?:-?

Best wishes for you,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It might not be exactly /ɛ/ (I don't think there's any English vowel that's exactly the IPA symbol it's represented by, except maybe for the schwa), but it certainly is much closer to that than to /e/.

That depends on the dialect. In what we might call 'Refined RP' the sound is closer to [e].

However, the point is that if we are talking about phonemic transcription, /e/ is perfectly acceptable for this vowel.

This website has pretty accurate transcriptions (IMO) and uses [ɛ] for both RP and many other English dialects.

So does the COD. However, most writers in the UK use /e/. It really doesn't matter, so long as the writer makes it clear what the symbol represents. What is important is that phonemic symbols be placed inside //, not [];

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
In what we might call 'Refined RP' the sound is closer to [e].

Do you have any sample? Because Australian English has a real [e] or [ɛ ̝] and to me it sounds very different than what I've heard in RP.

Wikipedia has this chart for RP

Received_Pronunciation.png

That's something between [ɛ] and [], yet closer to [ɛ] ([] is midway between the first and second horizontal line).

Does head in "refined RP" sound like this? That would be an Australian [hɛ ̝d].
So does the COD. However, most writers in the UK use /e/. It really doesn't matter, so long as the writer makes it clear what the symbol represents. What is important is that phonemic symbols be placed inside //, not [];

No, the COD approximates to the closest vowel. That website uses precise transcriptions. And I don't see any [e] or anything close to it in RP.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No, the COD approximates to the closest vowel. That website uses precise transcriptions. And I don't see any [e] or anything close to it in RP.
The COD does not 'approximate to the closest vowel'. It uses a symbol, which the phonetics editor has chosen, to represent the phoneme, This phoneme has many slightly different forms - the vowel in bet, for example is shorter than the vowel in bed, and my vowel in both words is almost certainly not exactly the same as yours.

When a trained phonetician produces a narrow transcruption of the English word bed pronounced by me, any trained phonetician in the world will be able to produce that word almost exactly as I said it. However, if I give the phonemic transcription /bed/ (or, if I am using different symbols, /bɛd/) then you have only a rough idea of the sound. You know, for example, that most British speakers will use the same vowel that we use in [FONT=&quot]said,head,any,leisure,leopard[/FONT]; you also know that it is a different vowel from the one we used in term, the, pretty, there, me, etc.

When we use the IPA symbols to transcribe phonetically, each symbol denotes one precisely defined sound. When we transcribe phonemically, we can use any symbol we wish, so long as we explain what symbols we are using for what sounds. In practice, most writers use an IPA symbol for a sound close to the phoneme they are transcribing, but many modify with some degree of romanisation - using a letter from their own alphabet which is readily understood. That is why many British writers use /e/ for the bed vowel; most use /r/, when [FONT=&quot][ɹ[/FONT]/] is actually the closest IPA sound to the phoneme heaard inred and arrow.

For most speakers of BrE there is no exact [e] or [ɛ] vowel. Even if there were, we would be under no obligation to use the IPA symbol in phonemeic transcription.

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
But then by that logic I could use any kind of symbol as long as I make it clear what it means. I could use /e/ for the vowel in caught, because hey, there's no exact IPA symbol for that vowel.
But, since we have agreed to use the IPA alphabet it's better to stick to transcriptions that are both simple and accurate. I can't agree to use /e/ for bed and then /eɪ/ for say, because of the implication it carries. If typing /ɛ/ is so hard then let's agree on using some other alphabet that contains only the characters on your keyboard, like SAMPA.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But then by that logic I could use any kind of symbol as long as I make it clear what it means. I could use /e/ for the vowel in caught, because hey, there's no exact IPA symbol for that vowel.
Yes you could.

But, since we have agreed to use the IPA alphabet it's better to stick to transcriptions that are both simple and accurate.
We haven't agreed to do this. Dictionaries use different systems - that's why it is vital to look at each dictonary's guide to pronunciation.

I can't agree to use /e/ for bed and then /eɪ/ for say, because of the implication it carries.
Lots of dictionaries do, with no problems

If typing /ɛ/ is so hard then let's agree on using some other alphabet that contains only the characters on your keyboard, like SAMPA.
Actually, SAMPA uses quite a few IPA symbols that are not on the standard keyboard.
There is a great deal of discussion among phoneticians about which symbols are most suitable for phonemes, and the discussion can get quite heated, as it did when the COD moved to /ɛ/ for the sound we are talking about. Because different features are important to different writers, each writer remains free to use the system s/he prefers, though one imagines that anyone coming up with a system in which /e/ represented the vowel in caught, would not have many followers.

In narrow phonetic transcription, the IPA symbols and diacritics are tightly defined. In phonemic transcription we use the system that suits us best.

Status
Not open for further replies.