Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
What are the other ways of saying how are you? with saying, how are you?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
"of saying"

How do you do
How are you doing [informal]
How are things going [informal]

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
"of saying"

How do you do
How are you doing [informal]
How are things going [informal]
For sometimes I feel a bit hesitant to ask my students "how are you?" everyday. We are talking only on the phone, so asking them this everyday makes me look like a prompter.... What are the other other ways/ things I could ask them to start our conversations?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How was your day?
How are things goings?
What's new with you?
What's up?
What's going on?

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
How was your day?
How are things goings?
What's new with you?
What's up?
What's going on?
Thanks Barb!

What else do you guys ask aside from how are you, how´s your day, what´s up.... when starting up a conversation?
For example: Have you had breakfast? How´s work? How´s the weather?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To START a conversation - What's been going on? (That would be silly if you talked to the person recently though.)

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
To START a conversation - What's been going on? (That would be silly if you talked to the person recently though.)
But Barb, the thing is that I have been talking to these people everyday, saying how are you´s, What´s up´s, and they seem to be toying with that question now. I am thinking of being innovative in my questions to ask about other things like things about work, family,etc... What could you recommend?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, the thing is, usually our conversation opener of "Hey, how are you?" or "Hey, what's up?" aren't real questions seeking knowledge. They are little rituals of politeness.

Your situation is different - you are specifically looking for them to answer with the detailed response, not the "Doing great, thanks" or "Not much" which are the expected responses to the ritual questions.

If you talk to them every day, you can maybe say "Good morning Mary. Today I'd like to hear about your family." "Good morning Peter. How has your job been going lately?" "Good afternoon, Susan. What have you children been up to?"

Or you can make a little game of it - "Good morning Mary. Tell me one thing that made you smile yesterday."

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Well, the thing is, usually our conversation opener of "Hey, how are you?" or "Hey, what's up?" aren't real questions seeking knowledge. They are little rituals of politeness.

Your situation is different - you are specifically looking for them to answer with the detailed response, not the "Doing great, thanks" or "Not much" which are the expected responses to the ritual questions.

If you talk to them every day, you can maybe say "Good morning Mary. Today I'd like to hear about your family." "Good morning Peter. How has your job been going lately?" "Good afternoon, Susan. What have you children been up to?"

Well, I know that How are you´s and What´s up´s are mere rituals, even in the Philippines we do have such greeting rituals(kumusta? mabuti.)

But my students answer these questions thinking that I was asking them in detail... And as time goes, they were thinking, I suppose, that I sound like a prompter asking the same questions. So I wanted to be more innovative this time in giving/asking them real questions as what they thought I´m doing....

Or you can make a little game of it - "Good morning Mary. Tell me one thing that made you smile yesterday."

I like this one:-D very creative!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes I ask my kids that as I put them to bed. It's nice to focus on something postive at the end of the day.

blouen

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Sometimes I ask my kids that as I put them to bed. It's nice to focus on something postive at the end of the day.
I´ve used what you taught me Barb, it´s great! Thanks a lot...

Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.