Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
"Although there is evidence that bee-keepers develop some immunity to the bee's poison, no-one would wish to be stung."

What word will best substitute the word immunity in this sentence?

Thanks for the help once again;-)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Although there is evidence that bee-keepers develop some immunity to the bee's poison, no-one would wish to be stung."

What word will be the best substitute for [STRIKE]the word[/STRIKE] 'immunity' in this sentence?

You could use 'resistance' or change 'immunity to' to 'tolerance of'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note, though, that immunity is a stronger word than either "tolerance to" or "resistance to". Immunity suggests that the sting has no effect whatsoever on the person being stung. If you are immune to bee venom, then you would suffer no ill effects. "Resistance/tolerance to" suggest that there might be some ill effects depending on other factors (the number of stings received, the amount of venom, the time between stings).

I find the use of "some immunity" rather odd. In my opinion, you're either immune to something or you're not.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note, though, that immunity is a stronger word than either "tolerance to" or "resistance to". Immunity suggests that the sting has no effect whatsoever on the person being stung. If you are immune to bee venom, then you would suffer no ill effects. "Resistance/tolerance to" suggest that there might be some ill effects depending on other factors (the number of stings received, the amount of venom, the time between stings).

I find the use of "some immunity" rather odd. In my opinion, you're either immune to something or you're not.

Immunity to disease or toxins is not all or nothing. Partial immunity exists, as does partial resistance/tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.