Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[FONT=新細明體][/FONT]I am not fully understand theunderlined sentence extracted from the New York Times as written.

Incense drifting through ancient. Saffron-robed monks, limbs a blur ofmovement, making quick work of imagined enemies. The boing of a giant bronzebell calling the faithful to prayer.

My questions are:
1. What is "boing"? Is it a kind of sound?
2. It seems to be no verb in the underlined sentence. Is it correct?
3. Does "the faithful" mean "people who are faithful"?

[FONT=新細明體][/FONT]

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
2. It seems to be no verb in the underlined sentence. Is it correct?
I can't see a finite verb in the underlined text, so I consider it a phrase instead of a sentence, but I am not a teacher.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you for the link to the full article, tzfujimino. It makes things much clearer. Contiluo, please note that this would have been helpful in your original post.

There is no main verb in the first part of the quotation, either, and 'cedars' is missing after 'ancient'.

The following paragraph explains everything: the phrases are setting the scene at the fabled Shaolin Temple.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am not fully understand...
It seems to be no verb in the underlined sentence.
I would use 'do' and 'there' instead of 'am' and 'It' respectively, but I am not a teacher.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Am I the only one that finds the use of the word "boing" odd, in the context of a giant bronze bell?

I feel that "boing" is the sound a metal spring makes, such as on a jack-in-the-box, or when the spring breaks out of something like a matress, or mechanical toy. The definition posted by tzfujimino seems to confirm that. "Boing" is usually a bouncy sound, and I don't remember many bells, especially large one's that sounded bouncy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vfbyFl5kc

For me the natural sound of a large temple bell is represented by one of the standard noise words, namely, "bong".
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/bong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VI2IRq17rs

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "bong" or "dong" for the sound of a large bell. I associate "boing" with springs and kangaroos!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are probably the sort of philistine who likes Disney's Pooh.

'Buh-doing' indeed! Is nothing sacred?

I'll pretend you didn't say that about my beloved ENGLISH Winnie-ther-Pooh.

We digress! As usual. I still wouldn't say boing for a bell. Just before Big Ben strikes 12 times at midnight on New Year's Eve, we Brits have been known to say "Are you ready for the bongs?"

Status
Not open for further replies.