[Grammar] need help (doing/in dong/to do)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

preachers

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've learned the usage of the word "need". When using with subject of person, it follows by a infinitive. If the subject is a stuff, then it follows by a gerund.

somebody + need + to do
something + need + doing

But when it comes to "need help + verb" like the title described, witch one is right, and why?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please write complete sentences for us to consider.

preachers

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for quick reply!

The whole sentence is here "Now that we're all on the same page, enable USB debugging on your device (see your devices manual if you need help finding it, and remember it was hidden in Android 4.2), and plug it in to your computer."

If the sentence is right, dose it conflict with this one(somebody + need + to do)? or can I say it like "if you need help in finding it" or "if you need help to find it"? Why?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I've learned the usage of the word "need". When using with subject of person, it follows by a infinitive. If the subject is a stuff, then it follows by a gerund. [That's ungrammatical and doesn't make much sense.]

somebody + need + to do
something + need + doing

But when it comes to "need help + verb" like the title described, which one is right, and why?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thanks for your/the quick reply!

The whole sentence is here "Now that we're all on the same page, enable USB debugging on your device (see your device's manual if you need help finding it, and remember it was hidden in Android 4.2), and plug it in to your computer."

If the sentence is right, dose it conflict with this one (somebody + need + to do)? or can I say it like "if you need help in finding it" or "if you need help to find it"? Why?
The original is correct; your two versions are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.