Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Greetings,

I need some help from our experts for a paper I'm writing at the moment.

In English one per one hundred is percent,

one per one thousand is

a) promille
b) per mille
c) should I use a decimal fraction instead.

A prompt reply will earn my most sincere gratitude.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Either say one per thousand or use a decimal.;-)

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks, so much Tdol.
The magnitude I need to express is the slope (or gradient) of a tunnel under construction. In civil engineering, such changes in elevation are typically expressed in parts per thousand. In my mother tongue 'promille' is a valid expression in this context, hence my question. T.K.

twostep

Tomasz Klimkiewicz said:
Greetings,

I need some help from our experts for a paper I'm writing at the moment.

In English one per one hundred is percent,

one per one thousand is

a) promille
b) per mille
c) should I use a decimal fraction instead.

A prompt reply will earn my most sincere gratitude.

Promille - used for blood alcohol contents (at least in German)
.001 is linnear meassure; per milliliter (liquid),
Mil - used for thickness (6mil plastic is .006 inch think)

I would use decimal fractions especially in Europe. Can you give me some details?

Tomasz Klimkiewicz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
twostep,

Thank you for your input.
The English paper I'm working at just now is on construction of a sewerage duct using a state-of-the-art technology called microtunnelling. I won't go deeply into technical details; the point is that it's a general-purpose wastewater collector working as a gravitational flow duct, that's why it needs to have a negative gradient towards its end. That gradient, or slope, is expressed in metres per / 1000 m, meaning the difference in elevation after each kilometer of the duct (the exact number may vary over the whole length of the sewer). All in all, I gave up that 'promille' notion for the sake of clarity, and simply used m / 1000 m, which is just the same. Consulted some civil engineering manuals, and it's O.K.

Cheers! T.K.

twostep

Tomasz Klimkiewicz said:
twostep,

Thank you for your input.
The English paper I'm working at just now is on construction of a sewerage duct using a state-of-the-art technology called microtunnelling. I won't go deeply into technical details; the point is that it's a general-purpose wastewater collector working as a gravitational flow duct, that's why it needs to have a negative gradient towards its end. That gradient, or slope, is expressed in metres per / 1000 m, meaning the difference in elevation after each kilometer of the duct (the exact number may vary over the whole length of the sewer). All in all, I gave up that 'promille' notion for the sake of clarity, and simply used m / 1000 m, which is just the same. Consulted some civil engineering manuals, and it's O.K.

Cheers! T.K.

Sewage duct may be a better term. Are you talking about hydrocyclones?

Status
Not open for further replies.