Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the shopkeeper offers you a credit note to be used to buy goods in the same shops but you would rather money say so. =but you would rather want equate money than take the note.or=but you would rather want money if possibel.Which is better?Please give your comments. Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If the shopkeeper offers you a credit note to be used to buy goods in the same shops but you would rather money say so. =but you would rather want equate money than take the note.or=but you would rather want money if possibel.Which is better?Please give your comments. Thanks!

"If the shopkeeper offers you a credit note to be used to buy goods in the same shops but you would rather have the money, say so."
(Note, a shopkeeper is very unlikely to do this. Giving you an equal amount of money is simply turning a done deal into a lost sale.")

The other bits don't make sense. And what are the '=' for?

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think this is the question:
Which of these meanings applies:
  • '...but you would prefer to have equal money than to take the note...'
  • '...but you would prefer money if possible'
    ?

This doesn't make sense though. They both seem to mean the same! The red highlighting also seems strange; 'money' and 'say' don't belong together: {if you would prefer money}{say so}.

b

Last edited:

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"If the shopkeeper offers you a credit note to be used to buy goods in the same shops but you would rather have the money, say so."
(Note, a shopkeeper is very unlikely to do this. Giving you an equal amount of money is simply turning a done deal into a lost sale.")

The other bits don't make sense. And what are the '=' for?
My question is :
"If the shopkeeper offers you a credit note to be used to buy goods in the same shops but you would rather have the money say so."It is from a magazine,and I checked it just now.Semantivally it is alone.Please give some comments on it.Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My question is :
"If the shopkeeper offers you a credit note to be used to buy goods in the same shops but you would rather have the money say so."It is from a magazine,and I checked it just now.Semantivally it is alone.Please give some comments on it.Thanks!
I'm not sure what your question is. All you've done is ask for comments. I'll assume you want to know what it means.

The shopkeeper owes the person some goods to a certain value. He offers to allow the person to purchase those goods from any of his stores using a credit note. However, if you would rather have your money back (if you rather him give you $10 cash rather than a $10 note of credit), you should ask for cash rather than for the credit note.

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'Say so' means 'say that you'd rather have the money'.

b

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:up: 'Say so' means 'say that you'd rather have the money'.

b
Thank you all.Yours is both simple and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.