• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Post as well as

In the former stage they will be asked to imitate a number of words in isolation modelled by a native speaker of English, as well as reading out loud a short dialogue.

Somehow it doesn't sound right. What do you reckon?
    Last edited by nyota; 14-Jul-2009 at 21:41.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: as well as

Quote Originally Posted by nyota View Post
    In the former stage they will be asked to imitate a number of words in isolation modelled by a native speaker of English, as well as reading out loud a short dialogue.

Somehow it doesn't sound right. What do you reckon?
    As well as, when linking clauses, is always followed by a non-finite clause beginning with an '-ing' form.

Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    As well as, when linking clauses, is always followed by a non-finite clause beginning with an '-ing' form.
    Disagree. 'as well as' is a conjunction. With the gerund form, the sentence lacks parallelism.

Try this:

In the former stage they will be asked to imitate a number of words in isolation modelled by a native speaker of English, as well as (to) reading out loud a short dialogue.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Cool Re: as well as

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Disagree. 'as well as' is a conjunction. With the gerund form, the sentence lacks parallelism.

Try this:

In the former stage they will be asked to imitate a number of words in isolation modelled by a native speaker of English, as well as (to) reading out loud a short dialogue.
    Like I wrote earlier on in this thread, there's no other way than using an -ing form after as well as:
    In the former stage they will be asked to imitate a number of words in isolation modelled by a native speaker of English, as well as (they will be asked to read out, where read out changes into) reading out loud a short dialogue.

Like I wrote earlier on in this thread, there's no other way than using an -ing form after as well as:
    Where did you have in mind that, eng?

Scrutinize the hits:
    Google

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

I wonder if the same disagreement remains if as well as is replaced with rather than?

Quote Originally Posted by ptetpe View Post
    I wonder if the same disagreement remains if as well as is replaced with rather than?
    When two infinitive structures are joined by rather than, except, as well as, etc., the second (the sub) is often goes without the infinitive marker (to):

I decided to go home rather than stay here.
    I have to look after the kids as well as (to) go to work.
    I have nothing to do except answer your question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

I disagree, engee.
    A: I want you to dance as well as sing.
    B: What? You expect me to dance as well as to sing? What am I, Michael Jackson?

What is the source of your opinion?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm also in favor of the parallelism.
    ...asked to imitate as well as to read

{not a teacher}

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

For your reference,

Webster's Dictionary of English Usage:

"As well as is also used as a preposition. In this function it is usually followed by a gerund:
    .. . they tell stories that become the myths of the tribe, as well as resenting characters that can serve as tribal heroes and villains —Malcolm Cowley,New Republic, 4 Oct. 1954
    . . . makes use of a variety of papers as well as providing a better jacket —Times Literary Supp., 14 May 1970
    But Stevenson as well as being a romancer was an aesthete —J. I. M. Stewart, Eight Modern Writers,1963

...Prepositional use of as well as is not as common as conjunctive use; indeed, the most common use of the phrase is as a conjunction."

The New Fowler's Modern English Usage:

"In most circumstances as well as may be idiomatically accompanied by a gerund:
    The protagonists are mercilessly guyed by the author, as well as being clobbered by the 'system'-R. Yarrow, 1982;
    Just like Dolly to usurp the mourning function as well as resuming to treat the evening as a normal vening party—A. Brookner, 1985.

Fowler (1926) argued, however, that in certain circumstances the gerund is better replaced by another part of the verb in order to match the part of the verb used in the introductory clause. So there is room for disagreement in sentences containing as well as followed by a gerund. Each case must be judged on its merits."
    Last edited by ptetpe; 16-Jul-2009 at 07:16.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast