• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile what is the different??

I truly have a confusion with "here you go ","there you go","here you are","here we are","here we go" and so on.

I don't know how to use them correctly in the oral English.

Thank for you help!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: what is the different??

Quote Originally Posted by Coraline View Post
    I truly have a confusion with "here you go ","there you go","here you are","here we are","here we go" and so on.

I don't know how to use them correctly in the oral English.

Thank for you help!
    Good question!
    This is the trouble when we start to look at the words in the sentences and we start to ask why there are variations.

• When I give something to someone who has asked to use/ borrow/ have something: here you are, here /there you go.
    • When I/we are working on a machine and we are trying to get it to work: here we go (it's working so the word 'go' is used).
    • When we arrive somewhere (we all want to go to that place): here we are (we have arrived) see the next one.
    • When I take someone by car to a place he wants to go to and we arrive: 'here/ there you go' (similar to the idea of I gave you something or I gave you some help), and 'here we are'.

In other words there is much less difference in the words 'here' and 'there' because the meanings are less connected with location. These are the most common examples I can think of.