• Post Thanks / Like

Appropriateness in Language Use

I am currently studying the TESOL Diploma and have been blown away by the huge amount of material out there. English is my first language and I am struggling to comprehend alot of the books advised.

Part of Module 1 is "What is meant by appropriateness in language use" apart fromn writing this section for me, does anybody have any tips on sources to answer this section and any good, consise examples I can adopt?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Appropriateness in Language Use

This, including the links at the foot of the page, is about as concise as it gets: LILT:Appropriateness

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that - it was part 3 of my first essay - and I am still reading and re-reading it I completed part 2,

"explain with examples, how language varies according to the context in which it is spoken or written."

In this section I felt I had to show the differences between a request both verbally and written to my mum for dinner and then a business client. This now obviously has a massive overlap with this 3rd section and I feel like I am losing the flow of the essay altogether. Would you cut this example and go for a more simple example or continue with it and refer back to it when writing section 3.

The way they want me to structure the essay does not make it easy to flow in general as it is in 4 sections and I hate doing projects badly.

I think that I am asking a) about the flow between 2 and 3 and what to do with the example i have given, and b) Am I normal in my struggle to get this kind of essay to flow neatly from one point to the next..

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

What are the four sections?

• Post Thanks / Like

Section 1 "Describe your own experience of learning a language or languages - What conclusions can you draw for your own teaching of English" (Their grammar - not mine)

In this section I have spoken about my awful experience of being forced to learn Latin - and it has lent itself well as a what not to do - regards all the examples.

Section 2 "Explain with examples, how language varies according to the context in which it is spoken or written."

In this section I have used a main example of my written essay verses a discussion the tutor and I may have regarding the same topic, also I have used the example I mentioned before. I did not manage to link section 1 and 2 together with examples.

Section 3 "What is meant by appropriateness in language use?

In this section I have the problem of the overlap with section 2 as by giving the examples I have had to cross the boundary into appropriacy with my examples for them to be clear.

However these two sections have now confused me so much on how to tackle them I am going round in circles looking at the books and internet links I have.

Section 4 "Language is communication - discuss."

I have without finishing sections 2 and 3 completely started this section with definitions of both words and was planning to look into the different forms of language and highlight communication forms which have no set language, morning song animal communication without language. Also bringing into play communication through gestures and facial expressions. As opposed to languages such as sign language and morse code which are understood and recorded rather than interrepted????

I have however bamboozled myself so much I have lost confidence...

Thanks for your quick response. I can email my essay so far if that helps? Please advise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kestarkey View Post
    Section 4 "Language is communication - discuss."

I have without finishing sections 2 and 3 completely started this section with definitions of both words and was planning to look into the different forms of language and highlight communication forms which have no set language, morning song animal communication without language. Also bringing into play communication through gestures and facial expressions. As opposed to languages such as sign language and morse code which are understood and recorded rather than interrepted????
    I think you are misunderstanding the question of section 4.
    Given that language is the focus, they want you to discuss examples of where language is not used for communication; not where communication is achieved through means other than language. Have you read anything about the various functions of language, eg. Halliday's 7 functions; or Grice's maxims; or the illocutionary/locutionary/perlocutionary aspects or the phatic function of language? If not, you should probably look up some of those terms.

• Post Thanks / Like

I knew I was wrong - I will re-address the section - glad I had just begun the research!!! You have saved me alot of time thank you!!!!