• Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

a suitable word

Please help me to check these exercises:
    A suitable word:
    A grasshopper spent the summer singing and dancing in the sun . One day he ______saw____(1) an ant hurrying by . She look very ____busy______ (2) and hot.
    “ Why are you working on ___such______ (3) a lovely day ?” asked the grasshopper .
    “I’m collecting food ___for_______(4) the winter .”, said the ant and went on her way. She _____(I don't know which word to fill in)______(5) all the other ants carrying food to their store . The grasshopper sang ____a____(6) song and carry on dancing . When winter came and there was snow on the ground, the grasshopper had _____nothing_____ (7) to eat . He was very hungry , so he went and asked the ant to give him ___some_____ (8) food.
    People who are nearsighted can only (1)..see.. things that are very closely to their eyes. Everything else seems (2)..difficult.. Many people who do a lot of (3)..hard.. work, such as writing, reading, and sewing are nearsighted. Then they have to (4)..wear.. glasses in order to see objects clearly.
    People who are farsighted suffer from just the (5)..opposite. problem. They can see things that are far away, but they have difficulties in (6)..reading.. a book unless they (7)..hold.. it at arm's length. If they want to do much reading, they must get (8).glasses)... too. Other people do not see (9).well... because their eyes are not exactly the (10)...correct.. size

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: a suitable word

Quote Originally Posted by san2612 View Post
    Please help me to check these exercises:
    A suitable word:
    A grasshopper spent the summer singing and dancing in the sun . One day he ______saw____(1) an ant hurrying by . She look very ____busy______ (2) and hot.
    “ Why are you working on ___such______ (3) a lovely day ?” asked the grasshopper .
    “I’m collecting food ___for_______(4) the winter .”, said the ant and went on her way. She [COLOR=blue___joined___5[/color]) all the other ants carrying food to their store . The grasshopper sang ____a____(6) song and carried on dancing . When winter came and there was snow on the ground, the grasshopper had _____nothing_____ (7) to eat . He was very hungry , so he went and asked the ant to give him ___some_____ (8) food.
    People who are nearsighted can only (1)..see.. things that are very close to their eyes. Everything else seems (2)..blurred.. Many people who do a lot of (3)..close-up.. work, such as writing, reading, and sewing are nearsighted. Then they have to (4)..wear.. glasses in order to see objects clearly.
    People who are farsighted suffer from just the (5)..opposite. problem. They can see things that are far away, but they have difficulty in (6)..reading.. a book unless they (7)..hold.. it at arm's length. If they want to do much reading, they must get (8).glasses)... too. Other people do not see (9).clearly because their eyes are not exactly the (10)...correct.. size
    buggles(not a teacher)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Thanks very much but I have seen in an English test that:
    +/"close work" such as writing, reading and sewing
    but "close-up task" such as reading, sewing, or working at the computer. ...
    So (3)close work?
    +/ (2)Everything else seems (2)..blurry
    Last edited by san2612; 03-Aug-2009 at 11:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by san2612 View Post
    Thanks very much but I have seen in an English test that:
    +/"close work" such as writing, reading and sewing
    but "close-up task" such as reading, sewing, or working at the computer. ...
    So (3)close work?
    +/ (2)Everything else seems (2)..blurry
    close work sounds ok, although I'd usually say close-up work.

I'd always prefer blurred to blurry.

The thing you are looking at appears blurred - it's your eyes which may be blurry.
    So you can be blurry-eyed through lack of sleep, but what you see through those blurry eyes is blurred.

Hope that helps.

buggles