• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

two questions

Here's a quotation from Bill Clinton's memoir "Myra, the youngest, was a rodeo queen. She could ride like a pro, and she later ran off with a cowboy, had two boys, divorced, and moved home, where she ran the local housing authority. Myra and Falba are great women who laugh through their tears and never quit on family and friends."
    I have two questions:
    1.What does "moved home" mean in the quotation? does it mean" move back home" or "move to a new house"?
    2.What does laugh through tears means?
    thanks

Re: two questions

Moved home means returned to the place where she was born or where her family lived.

Laughing through tears means that when sad, the person is still able to laugh about their plight or at least see some of the humor or lightness in the sadness. In the US, it's considered a good quality. It sort of means that the person doesn't wallow in self pity long.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

But does "move home" also has the meaning of "move house".I checked longman ,It is said in longman "move house/home British English (=go to live in a different house)"
    move - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

Yes.
    It is the context here. 'moved home' here is short for 'moved back home' = moved back in with her parents. That's Amer. Eng for you, from the lips of the President.
    Brit. Eng. would have said, 'moved back home'. But if the difference between 'bring' and 'take' doesn't worry Americans, that 'bring' suffices for both, then..............anything goes: a nation smilingly content with the best efforts of children to articulate the basic expression of their view of their experiences is, (it's) 'neat', 'cool' and 'awesome', or 'it sucks'.

'moved home' means just as the dictionary said.***

***Past Tense 'said' because my perspective is Isabella's experience and what she found in the dictionary when she looked it up.
    I could have written "...as the dictionary says" where I would be referring to the dictionary, and its definition, if anyone cares to look it up.

Do people monitor what comes out of their mouths, never mind actually thinking before they speak? It's like some people are parrots - a grasp of some of the words, but no real comprehension. The latest on a reality Crime Stories program:
    Cop: "The officer kept digging, and didn't stop until all stones were unturned."
    Last edited by David L.; 19-Jul-2009 at 09:55.