1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

call

Hi! What does “call” mean in the context below? I looked it up in the dictionary, but I am not sure which definition is what I am looking for. Could have a look at it? Thank you.

Call Definition | Definition of Call at Dictionary.com

So tonight, let us ask ourselves — if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made? This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: call

Quote Originally Posted by uecom View Post
    Hi! What does “call” mean in the context below? I looked it up in the dictionary, but I am not sure which definition is what I am looking for. Could have a look at it? Thank you.

Call Definition | Definition of Call at Dictionary.com

So tonight, let us ask ourselves — if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made? This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment.
    The meaning comes closest to:
    40. a summons, invitation, or bidding: The students gathered at the call of the dean.

We are called (invited, summoned, bid) to do something (make progress?) so that our children will see beneficial changes. The call comes from our concern about our children's futures.
    What we are specifically called to do (the call) is not stated in your quote.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    The meaning comes closest to:
    40. a summons, invitation, or bidding: The students gathered at the call of the dean.

We are called (invited, summoned, bid) to do something (make progress?) so that our children will see beneficial changes. The call comes from our concern about our children's futures.
    What we are specifically called to do (the call) is not stated in your quote.
    Raymott, you made it very clear, thank you.

I have a question, is "answer that call" usually used as a fixed expression?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by uecom View Post
    Raymott, you made it very clear, thank you.

I have a question, is "answer that call" usually used as a fixed expression?
    Not really. Answering a call is a fairly common thing to do. It has various meanings, as you will have guessed by now.