• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

address the problems with the government

A number of anesthesia groups proactively addressed the problems with the government, and reached a fair settlement.

This sentence is from a textbook, isn't it ambiguous? Is the government the problem or do the groups address the problems together with the government ( they cooperate in this matter ) ?

Re: address the problems with the government

Quote Originally Posted by alla View Post
    A number of anesthesia groups proactively addressed the problems with the government, and reached a fair settlement.

This sentence is from a textbook, isn't it ambiguous? Is the government the problem or do the groups address the problems together with the government ( they cooperate in this matter ) ?
    The sentence could be read both ways. You do have a point, and that's a good observation. However, I doubt very much that it would be read both ways.

I believe it's safe to say that "the anesthesia groups addressed the problems with the government" means that "the government has problems and that the anesthesia groups addressed the problems", not that "the government accompanied the anesthesia groups in addressing any such problems".

To clarify more, it's safe to say that the sentence means that the anesthesia groups addressed the government's problems. This is how the sentence would be understood by readers.

Captain, I don't believe it would be logical to take the sentence to mean that the government addressed the problems along with the anesthesia groups. If that were the case, then what problems would they be addressing? One would have to presume that the government would address its very own problems, and this would not conform to Earth logic.

Spock out.