Results 1 to 8 of 8

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 23
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    if i'm going

    I've heard people talk and seen people write "If I'm going to _____, I'll____."

    Is this grammatically correct or just nonstandard English, which only used in street talking?

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: if i'm going

    Quote Originally Posted by unruly2009 View Post
    I've heard people talk and seen people write "If I'm going to _____, I'll____."

    Is this grammatically correct or just nonstandard English, which only used in street talking?
    It's fine, just a different form of talking about a possible future event.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: if i'm going

    Quote Originally Posted by unruly2009 View Post
    I've heard people talk and seen people write "If I'm going to _____, I'll____."

    Is this grammatically correct or just nonstandard English, which only used in street talking?
    The meaning of "to be going to" is incongruous with the concept of first conditional. I would not say it is non-standard. I would say it is nonsense.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: if i'm going

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    The meaning of "to be going to" is incongruous with the concept of first conditional. I would not say it is non-standard. I would say it is nonsense.
    What about, 'If I'm going to be treated like that, I'll leave!'


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: if i'm going

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What about, 'If I'm going to be treated like that, I'll leave!'
    be going to is used to talk about future actions that have some present reality.
    Yes, your sentence have some present reality. You can predict the possibility of a future turmoil ("churning clouds").
    I was thinking merely about the "volitional" aspect of "going to".
    Theoretical approach to a language has its cons sometimes. I cannot have practical approach you know (I am a NNES).

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: if i'm going

    Quote Originally Posted by unruly2009 View Post
    I've heard people talk and seen people write "If I'm going to _____, I'll____."

    Is this grammatically correct or just nonstandard English, which only used in street talking?
    It's wrong if it means "If I go to ...", which I think is your question.
    "If I go to India, I'll bring you back a sari". Not "If I'm going to India ... "


    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 23
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: if i'm going

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    What about, 'If I'm going to be treated like that, I'll leave!'

    Can you also say "If I'm treated like that, I'll leave or If I was treated like that, I would leave?" And back to my original sentence, so, you're saying my sentence is fine.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: if i'm going

    Quote Originally Posted by unruly2009 View Post
    Can you also say "If I'm treated like that, I'll leave or If I was treated like that, I would leave?" And back to my original sentence, so, you're saying my sentence is fine.
    Yes, yes and yes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •