Could you check if i used these words right?

incongruous:
    The way i dressed up seemed quite incongruous compared to what majority of the people were wearing, black suit.

incite:
    The mongol ethic group in northwestern chinese province attempted to incite a rebellion against the chinese government

Aggregate:
    My income is an aggregate of multiple jobs

Avarice:
    It is common for people to be avarice in this recession since they are not making as much as they did couple years ago.

Question - How do you know when to use either criterion and criteria? could you please give me an example for each of the two words?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Exclamation Re: Could you check if i used these words right?

Quote Originally Posted by daniel430lee View Post
    incongruous:
    The way i dressed up seemed quite incongruous compared to what majority of the people were wearing, black suit.

incite:
    The mongol ethic group in northwestern chinese province attempted to incite a rebellion against the chinese government

Aggregate:
    My income is an aggregate of multiple jobs

Avarice:
    It is common for people to be avarice in this recession since they are not making as much as they did couple years ago.

Question - How do you know when to use either criterion and criteria? could you please give me an example for each of the two words?
    incongruous:
    The way I dressed up seemed quite incongruous compared to what majority of the people were wearing, black suit. OK unsuitable, ridiculous

incite:
    The Mongol ethic group in northwestern Chinese province attempted to incite a rebellion against the Chinese government. OK to deliberately encourage people to fight

Aggregate:
    My income is an aggregate of individual incomes from multiple jobs This is more meaningful

Avarice:
    It is common for people to be avarice in this recession since they are not making as much as they did couple years ago. OK

Criterion is a countable noun. Its plural form is criteria and it is usually the plural that has been used as singular
    Example:
    There are several criteria for selection of students for admission. (Plural)

Academic ability is not the sole criterion for admission to the college. (Here also criteria can be used..

So it is up to you chose any form you like.
    Last edited by sarat_106; 22-Jul-2009 at 07:49.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Could you check if i used these words right?

Quote Originally Posted by daniel430lee View Post
    Avarice:
    Avarice is greed. People can't be greed. You need to use the adjective, like greedy or avaricious.