Will Vs Would

What is difference between Will and Would?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Will Vs Would

Quote Originally Posted by ravibhartiya View Post
    Will is more definite than would.
    I will go if he asks me to.
    I would go if he asked me to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by ravibhartiya View Post
    'Will' is future; 'would' is conditional.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    'Will' is future; 'would' is conditional.
    They will have arrived by now.
    I did not know then that I would call you later.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    They will have arrived by now.
    I did not know then that I would call you later.
    Yes, that's another way they can be used. But the original poster is asking a very basic question, indicating that they want a start. Not every thread needs to be turned into a treatise on the comprehensive distinctions between this and that.
    If the OP wants to try a few basic sentences and interact with the thread, then we will see what type of distinctions they are capable of understanding at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, that's another way they can be used. But the original poster is asking a very basic question, indicating that they want a start.
    Yes, and I thought yours was not a very good start, and that is why I put in my example sentences. I hope you allow me to have and express my different opinion to the same extent as I allow you.
    Whether I was wrong in putting my oar in is of course debatable, as is the way I did it; everything is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison. And this is all very well as long as things are not taken to the extreme, which is yet another subjective term. One thing is an objective fact though: What induced me to put in my two euro cents' worth was the feeling of need to help the OP. And this is what counts and should be borne in mind before one chooses the tone of voice, the paralinguistic attributes in his comment to a post. Most contributors is impelled by this same motive to help, but unfortunatelly not all.

Why I am writing this? So as to oil the creaking wheels of forum interactions here. I am not referring to you now, Ray, mind.

Peter
    Last edited by svartnik; 22-Jul-2009 at 13:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Yes, and I thought yours was not a very good start, and that is why I put in my example sentences. I hope you allow me to have and express my different opinion to the same extent as I allow you.
    Whether I was wrong in putting my oar in is of course debatable, as is the way I did it; everything is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison. And this is all very well as long as things are not taken to the extreme, which is yet another subjective term. One thing is an objective fact though: What induced me to put in my two euro cents' worth was the feeling of need to help the OP. And this is what counts and should be borne in mind before one chooses the tone of voice, the paralinguistic attributes in his comment to a post. Most contributors is impelled by this same motive to help, but unfortunatelly not all.

Why I am writing this? So as to oil the creaking wheels of forum interactions here. I am not referring to you now, Ray, mind.

Peter
    Maybe it would have been better for the OP and for clarity of intention, if instead of quoting Ray's post in your contribution, you had quoted the OP and pointed out that while you agreed with what Raymott had said, there were other uses for 'will' and 'would'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • China

'I will' is the present tense of 'will', 'I would' is the past tense of 'will'.

If you use will before another verb, although it is the simple present tense, it is used in English to indicate the future tense, as English has no 'future tense'. This is probably what Raymott means.

Would, being the past tense of will is also the subjunctive. As such it indicates possibility, desire, unreal situations, or states dependent upon a condition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroski View Post
    If you use will before another verb, although it is the simple present tense, it is used in English to indicate the future tense, as English has no 'future tense'. This is probably what Raymott means.
    That's partly what I meant. And I'm sure engee partly meant what he said.
    The subtext is that if you ask a question like this, you either get a very simple answer commensurate with the effort you've put into the question, or someone has to write a grammar book chapter for you.

The correct response, of course, is to ask the OP what understanding they already have of 'will' and 'would' to save reinventing the wheel all over again, but this usually elicits no reply.
    Naturally, it would be ideal to know what trouble the OP is having with 'will' and 'would'. Under those conditions, a sensible and useful reply could be given without generating futile arguments among the regulars.

So, I will ask, and we will see:

ravibhartiya, what do you understand is the difference between 'will' and 'would'? What problems are you having using these words?