• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

prportional representation/man-of-war/clue up/at large

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

1. The most familiar example of proportional representation is cumulative voting, under which a shareholder has as many votes as he has shares of stock, multiplied by the number of vacancies on the board, all of which can be cast for one director.
    proportional = having a due proportion, or comparative relation; being in suitable proportion or degree; as, the parts of an edifice are proportional.
    proportional representation = representation of all parties in a legislature in proportion to their popular vote.

2. The order was executed as promptly as it would have been on board a man-of-war.
    man-of-war = warship

3. "Let go -- and clue up!" At this last command all the sails were lowered, and the vessel moved almost imperceptibly onwards.
    clue up = to give (someone) guiding information: “I hope they clue us up soon”; “Clue me in on what's happening.;It's time someone clued us in on what's happening

4. Many suspected war criminals are still at large.
    at large = free, unconfined, especially not confined in prison, as in “To our distress, the housebreakers were still at large.”

Thank you again for your kindness.

Regards,

V.

Re: prportional representation/man-of-war/clue up/at large

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

1. The most familiar example of proportional representation is cumulative voting, under which a shareholder has as many votes as he has shares of stock, multiplied by the number of vacancies on the board, all of which can be cast for one director.
    proportional = having a due proportion, or comparative relation; being in suitable proportion or degree; as, the parts of an edifice are proportional.
    proportional representation = representation of all parties in a legislature in proportion to their popular vote. correct

2. The order was executed as promptly as it would have been on board a man-of-war.
    man-of-war = warship Correct

3. "Let go -- and clue up!" At this last command all the sails were lowered, and the vessel moved almost imperceptibly onwards.
    clue up = to give (someone) guiding information: “I hope they clue us up soon”; “Clue me in on what's happening.” ; “It's time someone clued us in on what's happening” Your interpretation of "clue up" is correct. However, the extract you are using has the wrong term. It should be "clew up" >> 11. clew up, Nautical. to haul (the lower corners of a square-rig sail) up to the yard by means of the clew lines.

4. Many suspected war criminals are still at large.
    at large = free, unconfined, especially not confined in prison, as in “To our distress, the housebreakers were still at largecorrect

Thank you again for your kindness.

Regards,

V.