Post Latin words and names

Dear teachers,
    when using Latin words and names in a formal text, would you use the name first? In the following sentence which is the most correct way to refer to the two buildings?

"The above history is confirmed by findings in the ’60s of the first
    Sempronia basilica remains along with those of a private domusunder the Basilica Julia."

Best regards,
    Tinarima

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Latin words and names

Quote Originally Posted by tinarima View Post
    Dear teachers,
    when using Latin words and names in a formal text, would you use the name first? In the following sentence which is the most correct way to refer to the two buildings?

"The above history is confirmed by findings in the ’60s of the first
    Sempronia basilica remains along with those of a private domusunder the Basilica Julia."

Best regards,
    Tinarima
    If you translate the name into English, you'd put the name first, eg Basilica di San Pietro becomes St. Peter's Basilica. If you keep the Latin name, then you should keep the Latin format.
    Did you have any other examples?

Post Re: Latin words and names

Thank you for your answer.

Actually I have a number of Roman monuments cited because I am revising a book about ancient Rome and its architecture. For example, the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, Apollo’s Delphic Sanctuary, Plutei of Trajan, Temple of Divus Julius, Temple of Janus, Temple of the Dioscuri, House of Vestals, Temples of Saturnus, Vespasianus and Concord, Shrine of Juturna or Aedicula Iuturnae.

I am not using the possessive case because I have checked many books about architecture and it never seems to be used. However, when I come to “Basilica Julia”, “Basilica Sempronia”, “Basilica Aemilia”, "Basilica Porcia" they contain only Latin words/names and I don’t really know how to translate them. From what you said I infer I should keep the Latin format. Right?

Thanks again,
    Tinarima

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Latin words and names

Quote Originally Posted by tinarima View Post
    Thank you for your answer.

Actually I have a number of Roman monuments cited because I am revising a book about ancient Rome and its architecture. For example, the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, Apollo’s Delphic Sanctuary, Plutei of Trajan, Temple of Divus Julius, Temple of Janus, Temple of the Dioscuri, House of Vestals, Temples of Saturnus, Vespasianus and Concord, Shrine of Juturna or Aedicula Iuturnae.

I am not using the possessive case because I have checked many books about architecture and it never seems to be used. However, when I come to “Basilica Julia”, “Basilica Sempronia”, “Basilica Aemilia”, "Basilica Porcia" they contain only Latin words/names and I don’t really know how to translate them. From what you said I infer I should keep the Latin format. Right?

Thanks again,
    Tinarima
    There is no right and wrong - which you will have discovered from checking the architecture books. Anyone interested and sophisticated enough to read your book about ancient Rome should be able to handle a few Latin names. Basilica Sempronia makes as much sense as the Sempronia basilica to me. If you are not using any English possessives, that is even more reason to keep the Latin forms.
    You could use English versions for very famous landmarks like the Colosseum for Colosseo, but I wouldn't even consider that necessary.
    I think it's going to come down to your intuition.
    Maybe someone else has a different opinion though.