• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Where do people go to get their ID?

Hi,
    Where do people go to get their identification (ID)? I meant I wanted to know the name of the office which is responsible to issue ID for people.

Thanks so much

H

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Where do people go to get their ID?

Depends on the country. In Canada, we get it from the Ministry of Transportation, in the form of a driver's license. We are not required to carry ID, but use this license when we want to be able to show ID.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Depends on the country. In Canada, we get it from the Ministry of Transportation, in the form of a driver's license. We are not required to carry ID, but use this license when we want to be able to show ID.
    Thanks so much, konungursvia.

Does anyone know about this office in the US?

H

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Usually, a driver's license is the preferred form of ID because it has a picture on it. You get that from the state's department of transportation, although the name is not consistent. It could be the DMV, for Department of Motor Vehicles, or where I live now, it's PennDOT, for Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

(As a side note, the people who work in these facilities have a reputation for being incredibly unhelpful, officious, and rude, which they have lived up to in 90% of my visits to them. Marge Simpson's sisters in the TV show The Simpons work for the DMV in their state.)

There are options for an "identity card" for people who don't drive, but I don't know what they are, since I've never needed that.

You can, of course, aslo use your Passport, which is issued by the Department of State, but you usually apply for them or renew them at your local US Post Office.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Usually, a driver's license is the preferred form of ID because it has a picture on it. You get that from the state's department of transportation, although the name is not consistent. It could be the DMV, for Department of Motor Vehicles, or where I live now, it's PennDOT, for Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

(As a side note, the people who work in these facilities have a reputation for being incredibly unhelpful, officious, and rude, which they have lived up to in 90% of my visits to them. Marge Simpson's sisters in the TV show The Simpons work for the DMV in their state.)

There are options for an "identity card" for people who don't drive, but I don't know what they are, since I've never needed that.

You can, of course, aslo use your Passport, which is issued by the Department of State, but you usually apply for them or renew them at your local US Post Office.
    Thank you, Barb_D

H