• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Tenor

Can someone please help me answer this?

How language operates interpersonally to form relationships, indicate respect or difference, exercise power, convice and persuade.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Tenor

This is an assignment, so please start by putting down some of your ideas.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Dear Tdol,

This is not an assignment. This is just a possible exam question. I'm doing revision for it. According to my understand and the notes that I have taken, here is what I have. But I'm not sure if this is enough for answering the question:How language operates interpersonally to form relationships, indicate respect or difference, exercise power, convince and persuade.

Tenor relates to the roles and relatinships of those involved in the communication. How language operates depends very much on the relative social status (equality/inequality) in spoken interaction:
    -whether they are equally able to make statements, ask questions or give directions
    -whether they are able to make use of similar terms of address when referring to each other (e.g. Sir, Ma'am, Dr, Professor, Your Excellency, Mr, Mrs)
    -whether they are equally able to determine the direction of the conversation takes by, e.g. choosing or changing the topic
    -whether they are equally able to pass judgement or make assessments

Speaker/writer persona e.g. power, expertise or authority is also important: We need to consider whether, by their language, writers represent themselves as being authoritative, expert, powerful or otherwise holding a position of influence or high status in society. Also whether the writer employs language that can be seen as assertive or as demonstrating expertise, whether they present themselves as in a position to give advice to readers or to direct or control the actions of others, whether they present themselves as in a position to criticise or praise others.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Fame View Post
    Dear Tdol,

This is not an assignment. This is just a possible exam question. I'm doing revision for it. According to my understand and the notes that I have taken, here is what I have. But I'm not sure if this is enough for answering the question:How language operates interpersonally to form relationships, indicate respect or difference, exercise power, convince and persuade.
    You've probably done enough on authority.
    How about when two equals interact? One could convince or persuade the other by a logical argument, by promising a benefit to the other person.
    A person with no power in a relationship could appeal to the kindness or fair play of the person in authority, or to the obligation that authority brings.

Also, you haven't got much on the first part - 'to form relationships'. You can use language simply to interact with another person to see whether you are compatible. In that sense, it doesn't really matter what you say - you are just exchanging ideas and maybe having a few laughs.