• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Differences between Economical and Economic

Can you tell me about the differences between them?

we will have to find new ways to take some economic economical measures

We use economical but not economic here, why??

Re: Differences between Economical and Economic

Economic means related to the economy; pertaining to the organization and function of the industry, trade and financial structure of a country or region.

Economical means tending to save money. If something is economical, it doesn't take much money to do it or operate it. If a person is economical, they spend money carefully and wisely.

As for your sentence...You're the only one who knows the context; you're the only one who can figure it out.

Greg

Wink Re: Differences between Economical and Economic

Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    Can you tell me about the differences between them?

we will have to find new ways to take some economic economical measures

We use economical but not economic here, why??
    We use "economic" to talk about things that have to do with the general topic of the economy.

We use "economical" to talk about spending less money or getting a better price.

In order to distinguish them, here are two examples:

Everyone is waiting in anticipation to see some results of the president's economic recovery program.

People shop at the Bargain Center because it's economical.

take economic measures or take economical measures - I don't think these two phrases are the most natural-sounding English.

We could say something like this: The economic measures set forth by the president are not looked upon with great optimism by some people.

Battery-powered cars will someday be more economical than gasoline-powered cars. (petrol for BrE and Commonwealth English)

It's hard to come up with an example for "economical measures". Maybe someone else will have a shot at it.

This is a good question.

Last edited by PROESL; 25-Jul-2009 at 19:23. Reason: I left out the "s" in "things".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Differences between Economical and Economic

Quote Originally Posted by PROESL View Post
    We use "economic" to talk about thing that have to do with the general topic of the economy.

We use "economical" to talk about spending less money or getting a better price.

In order to distinguish theme, here are two examples:

Everyone is waiting in anticipation to see some results of the president's economic recovery program.

People shop at the Bargain Center because it's economical.

take economic measures or take economical measures - I don't think these two phrases are the most natural-sounding English.

We could say something like this: The economic measures set forth by the president are not looked upon with great optimism by some people.

Battery-powered cars will someday be more economical than gasoline-powered cars. (petrol for BrE and Commonwealth English)

It's hard to come up with an example for "economical measures". Maybe someone else will have a shot at it.

This is a good question.

Thanks for your explanation, and I think I am more clear about their differences now.

Smile Re: Differences between Economical and Economic

Quote Originally Posted by AUTOMOON View Post
    Thanks for your explanation, and I think I am more clear about their differences now.

It's my pleasure. You're welcome.