• Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

"slow" or "slowly"

This is a short dialogue between two friends I read somewhere. I believe the greeting is an idiom, but couldn't find anything on the internet when I googled the phrase. Does it mean, how are things in your life? If so, shouldn't the reply to the query be "slow" instead of "slowly"?

"How goes it on your side of the river?"
    "Slowly."

Note: the two friends live on opposite sides of a river, so perhaps the question was meant to be taken literally and didn't have an idiomatic reference. But if that is the case, shouldn't the response still be "slow".

Thanks is advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: "slow" or "slowly"

Quote Originally Posted by smk View Post
    This is a short dialogue between two friends I read somewhere. I believe the greeting is an idiom, but couldn't find anything on the internet when I googled the phrase. Does it mean, how are things in your life? If so, shouldn't the reply to the query be "slow" instead of "slowly"?

"How goes it on your side of the river?"
    "Slowly."

Note: the two friends live on opposite sides of a river, so perhaps the question was meant to be taken literally and didn't have an idiomatic reference. But if that is the case, shouldn't the response still be "slow".

Thanks is advance!
    The answer is literally; (It goes) slowly/slow. So both possible as either of them can be used as adverb. Informally it is Slowly.