could anyone check my grammar exercise, please ?

105.2 Underline the correct or most appropriate word(s) in each sentence. (A)
    1 The thieves broke the window and climbed across/over/along/through it.
    2 He was the first man to row single-handed across/over/along/through the Atlantic.
    3 She only had time to dress and run a comb across/over/along/through her hair before the taxi arrived.
    4 There was so much traffic, I was fortunate to get across/over/along/through the road without being knocked over.
    5 There were sunbeds and sunshades across/over/along/through the entire length of the beach.
    6 She made her way up the hill across/over/along/through a narrow path.
    7 He leapt across/over/along/through the wall and made his escape.
    8 The mist was so thick, it was like walking across/over/along/through a cloud.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: could anyone check my grammar exercise, please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruba Saeed View Post
    105.2 Underline the correct or most appropriate word(s) in each sentence. (A)
    1 The thieves broke the window and climbed across/over/along/through it.
    2 He was the first man to row single-handed across/over/along/through the Atlantic.
    3 She only had time to dress and run a comb across/over/along/through her hair before the taxi arrived. You run a comb through your hair - that's the point of combs. If you only ran the comb along/over/across your hair, it would not separate the hairs so that they could fall back together in a neat pattern.
    4 There was so much traffic, I was fortunate to get across/over/along/through the road without being knocked over.
    5 There were sunbeds and sunshades across/over/along/through the entire length of the beach.
    6 She made her way up the hill across/over/ along/through a narrow path. You generally walk along a path, not over it.
    7 He leapt across/over/along/through the wall and made his escape.
    8 The mist was so thick, it was like walkingacross/over/along/through a cloud. 'Across' implies 'on top of' in this context. If you walked across a cloud, it wouldn't appear misty. It's only misty if you walk through it.

R.