• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

commit to + be committed to

Hi,

1) I'm a bit confused by the using of "commit to" and "be committed to". From the Dictionary.com, "commit to" = to pledge or engage oneself and "be committed to" = to bind or obligate, as by pledge or assurance; pledge.

Then, the sentence like "the chairman was committed to board of committees" = the chairman is forced by the board of committees to do something, and

"the chairman committed to the board of the committes" = he promised to do something with no force from the committee, right?

but the chairman can be forced by the committees, eh?

2) I know "cult-sure" is the parody of "culture" but what do you think it's the best definition that fits "cult-sure"?

3) "The truly successful entrepreneur develop sharkskin and an ego requiring scant maintenance". What is sharkskin here? like build something to protect himself?

Thank you,
    Last edited by beeja; 27-Jul-2009 at 08:47.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: commit to + be committed to

Quote Originally Posted by beeja View Post
    Hi,

1) I'm a bit confused by the using of "commit to" and "be committed to". From the Dictionary.com, "commit to" = to pledge or engage oneself and "be committed to" = to bind or obligate, as by pledge or assurance; pledge.

Then, the sentence like "the chairman was committed to board of committees" = the chairman [U]is forced by[/] It doesn't mean 'to be forced by', it describes the chairman's attitude; it's used like an adjective the board of committees to do something, and

"the chairman committed to the board of the committes" = he promised to do something with no force from the committee, right?
    As above, there is no element of force in the meaning. One is a verb 'to commit', one is an adjective 'committed'.

but the chairman can be forced by the committees, eh?

2) I know "cult-sure" is the parody of "culture" but what do you think it's the best definition that fits "cult-sure"?

3) "The truly successful entrepreneur develop sharkskin and an ego requiring scant maintenance". What is sharkskin here? like build something to protect himself? Right - a protective mentalitiy, in this case.

Thank you,
    -