• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

Prayer and Prayerfulness

I am still reading the book "Healing Words", The power of prayer and the practice of medicine.

Could you please kindly teach me what is the difference between Prayer and Prayerfulness in the following text:

" Prayerfulness ---not the world-manipulating, disease-bashing forms of prayer to which most Westerners resort when sick-permeates many cases of profound illness that improve spontaneously"

Thank you for your time and help.

Yu Heci

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Prayer and Prayerfulness

Prayerfulness is the adjective form of the noun prayer and the characteristic of prayer itself. I hope this helps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Finland

Re: Prayer and Prayerfulness

I am citing the following text from the same book, it seems that there are 2 forms of prayer, but I still have difficulty to understand that and to use correct word when I want to translate these 2 form into Chineses.
    "Prayer tends to follow instrctions laid down by the great religious traditions; prayerfulness dose not. It is a feeling of unity with the All, rather than with specific leaders, traditions, or holy books. Intercessory prayer has a tendency to ask for definite outcomes, to structure the future, to "tell God what to do," such as taking the cancer away. Prayerfulness, on the other hand, is accepting without being passive, is grateful without giving up. It is more willing to stand in the mystery, to tolerate ambiguity and the unknown. It honors the rightness of whatever happens, even cancer."
    Thank you very much again for your time and help
    YU Heci