on singulars and plurals

Dear teachers,

I have a question on concordance between subject and verb. For example in the following sentence...

"This approach along with the reluctance of the political class has weakened the position of the EU to play a role in the prevention of conflict in Congo"

... the subject is "This approach" so the verb should be "has weakened". However, could I use "have weakened" since both "the approach" and "the reluctance" have weakened the position of the EU?

I'm not sure if my question is fully understandable. If not, please let me know and I'll try to ask it in some other way.

Many thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: on singulars and plurals

I'd link with 'and' if I wanted both to be the subject and with your sentence, I'd use commas to separate the 'along with' part.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: on singulars and plurals

Quote Originally Posted by Ochinoam View Post
    Dear teachers,

I have a question on concordance between subject and verb. For example in the following sentence...

"This approach along with the reluctance of the political class has weakened the position of the EU to play a role in the prevention of conflict in Congo"

... the subject is "This approach" so the verb should be "has weakened". However, could I use "have weakened" since both "the approach" and "the reluctance" have weakened the position of the EU?

I'm not sure if my question is fully understandable. If not, please let me know and I'll try to ask it in some other way.

Many thanks in advance.
    The question makes sense and I agree with the last poster.

If you want to use "have weakened" then the sentence needs to start "This approach and the reluctance of the political class....."

The sentence you have now would read better with commas: "This approach, along with the reluctance of the political class, has weakened......"