Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
Results 21 to 30 of 73
  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,853
    #21

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    After dinner, yesterday.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,853
    #22

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Why ever did you try to find the example?
    Research is key, engee; moreover, it didn't make sense, at least to me, that (according to Snappy) the LDCE would provide 2 near-identical examples for the same entry without explaining the difference between the two. As it turns out, the LDCE didn't provide 2 near-identical examples.

    Their entry:
    [#]8 spoken
    would/do you mind...?


    a) used to politely ask someone's permissio
    Would you mind if I opened the window?
    Would you mind if I came with you?
    I'll have to leave early, do you mind?
    The operative word there is 'spoken', meaning not written; i.e., formal English. In other words, the answer to Snappy's question was in the LDCE all along, and the reason I did the research.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 25,445
    #23

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    In other words, the answer to Snappy's question was in the LDCE all along, and the reason I did the research.
    You could have saved your time by reading my post #4.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,880
    #24

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    Are these both acceptable and the same in meaning?
    "Would you mind if I opened the window?"
    "Would you mind if I open the window?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    In answer to your question, yes, both "open the window" and "opened the window" are acceptable English.

    The Standard (i.e., formal language, including spoken and written English) houses a present tense verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    In other words, the answer to Snappy's question was in the LDCE all along, and the reason I did the research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    "Would you mind if I opened the window?" The dictionary explains that it is spoken and used when making a polite request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You could have saved your time by reading my post #4.
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...tml#post498085

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I agree with engee.
    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    It's only either Would you mind if I opened the window? or Do you mind if I open the window? that is correct.
    Am I missing something?

  4. engee30's Avatar
    Key Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,928
    #25

    Cool Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post

    Their entry:[INDENT][#]8 spoken
    would/do you mind...?


    a) used to politely ask someone's permissio
    Would you mind if I opened the window?
    Would you mind if I came with you?
    I'll have to leave early, do you mind?
    That's the thing that I suppose made Snappy so confused about the issue. Dictionaries sometimes give entries with a usage pattern. In that dictionary the pattern is would/do you mind... ? Then you get example sentences, but in this case, to Snappy's confusion, only with the structure would you mind if (not a single sentence with do you mind if). No wonder he thought that would you mind if + past tense was interchangeable with would you mind if + present tense, where, in fact, the present tense form of the verb is essentially used with do you mind if.

    Luckily, I've got a standard edition of the dictionary installed on my laptop in which it is clearly shown (in the module Longman Language Activator) that the structures are used with different tense forms of the verb in each case:
    would/do you mind if
    Would you mind if I held the baby?
    Do you mind if I just turn down the volume a little?


    Don't you think it would be obvious that if they had supplied the sentences in the pattern like this, Would/Do you mind if I held the baby?, this would mean they are interchangeable?


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,880
    #26

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Luckily, I've got a standard edition of the dictionary installed on my laptop in which it is clearly shown (in the module Longman Language Activator) that the structures are used with different tense forms of the verb in each case:
    would/do you mind if
    Would you mind if I held the baby?
    Do you mind if I just turn down the volume a little?
    From these patterns, it would be unreasonable to conclude that other forms do not exist.
    That's the thing that I suppose made Snappy (you, engee) so confused about the issue.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 25,445
    #27

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Some justification for posting a summary of various postings in the thread?
    A message to go along with your illustrations?
    An indication of what this sequence of partial posts means to you?

  6. Key Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 1,482
    #28

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Sorry, Svartnik, but I must weigh in with Raymott and engee on this one. In my opinion, both as a grammarian and as an educated native speaker,
    [Would you mind if I V?] - as compared with [Would you mind if I Ved] -
    is nonstandard.

    The issue is simply one of tense concord in conditional sentences, and in this the correct usage, as we would expect, parallels exactly the structure of any other 2nd conditional, e.g.

    Would you buy a car if you had the money?

    and not

    *...if you have...

    .


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,880
    #29

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    In other words, the answer to Snappy's question was in the LDCE all along, and the reason I did the research
    Soup reached a conclusion. She came to realize that the Answer to Snappy's question (perhaps with a slight exaggeration) was in the Longman Dictionary. I think with it she referred to the word 'spoken' in that dictionary and this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    From an academic standpoint, use formal language (Would you mind if I open) in writing and on formal occasions (e.g., in an exam) and use English (spoken) elsewhere
    That is, use the past tense form in colloquial speech, even though it is not standard, because

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    The Standard (i.e., formal language, including spoken and written English) houses a present tense verb.
    You said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You could have saved your time by reading my post #4.
    This is your post #4:

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I could only find ... "Would you mind if I opened the window?"
    I agree with engee (= Would you mind If I open... is incorrect).
    I cannot imagine what time Soup could have spared with your comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
    Are these both acceptable and the same in meaning?
    "Would you mind if I opened the window?"
    "Would you mind if I open the window?"
    In light of the original question, I either do not understand you, Soup, or both of you.

    If you still do not understand me, Ray, then take my comments non-existent.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,880
    #30

    Re: Would you mind if I opened the window?

    Quote Originally Posted by philo2009 View Post
    Sorry, Svartnik, but I must weigh in with Raymott and engee on this one. In my opinion, both as a grammarian and as an educated native speaker,
    [Would you mind if I V?] - as compared with [Would you mind if I Ved] -
    is nonstandard.

    The issue is simply one of tense concord in conditional sentences, and in this the correct usage, as we would expect, parallels exactly the structure of any other 2nd conditional, e.g.

    Would you buy a car if you had the money?

    and not

    *...if you have...

    .
    Philo, hi! Thanks for your comments. The problem is that I do not detect any condition in your "conditional" sentence. Consequently, as a non-native, non-educated no-body, I cannot accept your argument as true.

Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •