Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
"Would you mind if I opened the window?" is found for the usage of the word "mind" in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. The dictionary explains that it is spoken and used when making a polite request.
In the same dictionary, "Would you mind if I open a window?" is also found for the usage of the word "mind."
Are these both acceptable and the same in meaning?
"Would you mind if I opened the window?"
"Would you mind if I open the window?"

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
"Would you mind if I opened the window?" is found for the usage of the word "mind" in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. The dictionary explains that it is spoken and used when making a polite request.
In the same dictionary, "Would you mind if I open a window?" is also found for the usage of the word "mind."

Both are possible.

It's only either Would you mind if I opened the window? or Do you mind if I open the window? that is correct. :cool:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I could only find one mention in the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English of this example under 'mind'. "Would you mind if I opened the window?"
Did you make a mistake in your question?

Anyhow, I agree with engee.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Svartnik, it's not how many reference links you provide, but it's what you think that is right. I'm a prescriptivist, so I should strongly recommend saying that following the patterns:
would mind if + past tense
do mind if + present tense

:cool:

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm a prescriptivist,

Being a prescriptivist suggests having absolute authority in the English language to me, eng. No offence, but who are you?
Okay, I rephrase my answer and say, both are commonly used by educated people.

PS: and please ... do not ... underline ... my name, please. I can see very well. ;)

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Pure prescriptivist grammar will lead to artificial claims that are hard to maintain in light of the facts. While prescriptivists would prefer the use of the past subjunctive after if (If I were you, etc), it is very difficult to claim that everyone who uses was is wrong, especially as they are the majority in spoken language.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Being a prescriptivist suggests having absolute authority in the English language to me, eng. No offence, but who are you? A prescriptivist.
Okay, I rephrase my answer and say, both are commonly used by educated people.

My thoughts and feelings on English grammar are mostly based on what I find in the world-renowned reference books by Cambridge, Oxford, Macmillan and Longman. I haven't found any reference that would suggest using the past tense form of the verb with the pattern do you mind if, or the present tense form with would you mind if. That's a wrap. :cool:

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
And I have not find any contemporary grammar books that prescribe the indicate mood should be avoided in the if clause. Who grants authority to prescribe usage in the English language? Or do people assume the position of control for themselves? I tend to go with usage statistics.

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
These links seem to prove one thing ... accepted by some,

CalifJim and Casi are no just some, in my opinion. They are highly respected and trusted contributors in EF and UE, respectively.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
And I have not find any contemporary grammar books that prescribe the indicate mood should be avoided in the if clause. Who grants authority to prescribe usage in the English language? Or do people assume the position of control for themselves? I tend to go with usage statistics.

Those seeking a good piece of advice come to this forum in the hope of finding such. I assume that they're needing advice mainly dealing with the language that is taught at schools rather than the so-called street language, which, to me, is more than less inappropriate in academic usage.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is this a recent change, svartnik? I haven't done an analysis of your posts, but I thought you were a rather strict adherent to 'proper grammar'. When did you become a descriptionist?
engee is right about learners' needs though. If they ask, then "Would you mind if I opened the window" is the more correct form when you factor in both grammar and usage.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China

I couldn't find the second example "open the window" in LDCE either, but, then again, I have their online version only.

In answer to your question, yes, both "open the window" and "opened the window" are acceptable English.

The Standard (i.e., formal language, including spoken and written English) houses a present tense verb. The reason being, a polite request is asked before the act takes place, so a present tense verb is used:

• Would you mind if I open the window?

The spoken-form houses a past tense verb. The reason, analogy: elsewhere in the grammar there is a similar structure, would + if + past tense (See type 2 conditionals):

• Would you mind if I opened the window?

From a semantic standpoint, there isn't a difference in meaning between would you mind if I open the window and would you mind if I opened the window. Unless, that is, you want to be pedantic about it:
Sam: Would you mind if I opened the window?
Pat: Why are you asking me after the fact? You've already opened the window, right?
The difference, if there actually is one, is subscription: prescription (what you are told you should say) and description (what you actually say). Who is right? Everyone.

From an academic standpoint, use formal language in writing and on formal occasions (e.g., in an exam) and use English elsewhere.

FYI: I am Casiopea. ;-)

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I couldn't find the second example "open the window" in LDCE either, but, then again, I have their online version only.

Why ever did you try to find the example? :?:

svartnik

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
FYI: I am Casiopea. ;-)

:shock::-o:shock::-o:shock::-o::shock::-o:oops::-o:shock:

3.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.