• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Question Please help me with these two sentences.

I am reading Gene Thieves by an Australia author, Maria Quinn, and there are some descriptions I can't quite get it. Here are two sentences:

1. "Opening his door, Dancer ushere Brown to the seating area wrapped around one corner of a rich-list layout."
    The part which nags at me is "a rich-list layout," I jsut can't find
    information on the net.

2. "Years before, over a million ceramic tiles were overlaid with transparent photovoltaic cells, painstakingly matched to the profile of the unique originals on the amazing precast concrete 'sails' of the roof."

I've surfed the net, find some information, but still was stuck with "the unique originals." Do those "originals" mean "original tiles"?

Thanks a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Please help me with these two sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by iemmahu View Post
    I am reading Gene Thieves by an Australia author, Maria Quinn, and there are some descriptions I can't quite get it. Here are two sentences:

1. "Opening his door, Dancer ushere Brown to the seating area wrapped around one corner of a rich-list layout."
    The part which nags at me is "a rich-list layout," I jsut can't find
    information on the net.

2. "Years before, over a million ceramic tiles were overlaid with transparent photovoltaic cells, painstakingly matched to the profile of the unique originals on the amazing precast concrete 'sails' of the roof."

I've surfed the net, find some information, but still was stuck with "the unique originals." Do those "originals" mean "original tiles"?

Thanks a lot!

Many newspapers publish yearly "rich-lists" where they list the names of the world's richest people. These people expect (and pay for) the best of everything, so a rich-list layout at, say, a night club would be plush and opulent. Everything would be top quality and the area would probably be restricted to only the richest of clients.

"originals" does, indeed mean "original tiles". The author is taking pains to point out that the photovoltaic tiles are made to resemble exactly the original concrete ones in appearance.

buggles (not a teacher)