• Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

How can I improve my spellings??

please tell me in detail.. please

Re: How can I improve my spellings??

To find one of the many online references for spelling rules, just google on the key words english/spelling/rules and take your pick.

I know, I know...spelling is a nightmare in English. You'd be amazed at how many intelligent native speakers are poor at spelling. Personally, I blame it on the Romans.

I have always found that one of the best ways to remember how to spell troublesome words is through the use of mnemonics, or memory tricks.

For example, is it recieve or receive? Well, the old expression i before e except after c saves the day. It's receive.

Is it affect or effect? Well, I just remind myself that affect is normally a verb (an action word), so I just remember a for action. Bingo.

Is it message or massage? Well, picture yourself receiving an important message and imagine that it is so sloppily written that you can't read it. It is completely illegible, and has ketchup stains all over it from someone eating French fries, etc. The message is a real mess. On the other hand, imagine you're ready to get a full body massage, and you're lying face down on the table. The masseur (or masseuse, as you please) comes in and begins to massage you. At that point, you turn your head and look and it's your ma (mother) giving you the massage.

And so on. Every time you find yourself struggling to remember how to spell a word, get creative and form a little jingle or outrageous mental picture that will be unforgettable to you that will jog your memory.

Hey, don't laugh...it's either that or just try and memorize every word.

Good luck.

Greg
    Last edited by dragn; 31-Jul-2009 at 18:20.

It is all about practice and repetition. There is no other way around it. Write in English every day. Pick a subject and go with it. Use Microsoft Word to spell check it when you are done. Don't have the spell check as you are writing. Just write everything as you think it should be. when you have finished the writing look at what you spelt wrong by using the spell check. That's when you should concentrate on what was spelled wrong.

I learned Spanish as an adult. I think the best exercise I did in my learning process, besides speaking with Spanish speakers, was picking a subject each day and writing about it. It broadened my vocabulary. I hope this helps!

Andrew Lawton
    ESL Lessons and Exercises for English Fluency by Drew

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by alawton View Post
    It is all about practice and repetition. There is no other way around it. Write in English every day. Pick a subject and go with it. Use Microsoft Word to spell check it when you are done. Don't have the spell check as you are writing. Just write everything as you think it should be. when you have finished the writing look at what you spelt wrong by using the spell check. That's when you should concentrate on what was spelled wrong.

I learned Spanish as an adult. I think the best exercise I did in my learning process, besides speaking with Spanish speakers, was picking a subject each day and writing about it. It broadened my vocabulary. I hope this helps!

Andrew Lawton
    ESL Lessons and Exercises for English Fluency by Drew

All great suggestions for you! The only other thing I would say is read! A lot! The more you read (good English!) the more words will just seep into your brain, correctly spelled.

Spellcheck is good to a certain extent but remember that it may give you various suggestions for alternative spellings, as it doesn't necessarily know which word you meant. Whatever you do, don't trust the grammar checker in Spellcheck though - it's a disaster!