1. der

Question modal verbs

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site and new to the efl world.Im teaching my students about modal verbs and I was hoping if anyone could help me with some activate ideas to use.I have some ideas but i was hoping to be able to use different ideas for d main groups like obligation, permission, abilty etc.Any ideas are greatly welcome.
    Thanks

Re: modal verbs

Quote Originally Posted by der View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site and new to the efl world.Im teaching my students about modal verbs and I was hoping if anyone could help me with some activate ideas to use.I have some ideas but i was hoping to be able to use different ideas for d main groups like obligation, permission, abilty etc.Any ideas are greatly welcome.
    Thanks
    Well, here are two ideas off the top of my head. I think I've done lessons similar to this at one time or another. Exactly what you choose to do will, of course, depend on the students' level.

To practice using "should", make a list of sentences which refer to specific circumstances on the board.

It's raining.
    It's cold.
    I'm tired.
    I have a headache.
    We don't have any bread.
    I want to improve my English.

The students have to use a sentence with "should" in response to each statement. You could, for example, write each statement on a card and hand them out. Divide the students into pairs or groups. The students take turns choosing cards and giving advice using "should".

You could try something similar for othe modals.

Here's a way to practice, or teach, using "can" for ability. Write these words and phrases on the board. You can write or type them on cards as well. Hand out the cards and then the students take turns asking each other questions: Can you ride a bike?

ride a bike
    play the piano
    cook
    type fast
    speak French
    build a website
    ice skate
    ski

I find at lower levels it's really about being creative. Language is a way of demonstrating the basic things we all have in common. At more advanced levels, planning lessons and deciding how to teach is much more situational: What's the situation? Who are the students? What is their purpose in learning English? What is their background?

Post any follow-up questions you have. I might have another suggestion or two by reading a follow-up question.

Smile Re: modal verbs

Quote Originally Posted by der View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks

Here's a way to teach "can", along with basic vocabulary if necessary. It can be a lot of fun making documents like this, especially if you like searching for pictures at MS Clipart, copy-pasting them onto Word documents, and resizing them just right to fit the format you have in mind.

can you do it.pdf

Smile Re: modal verbs

Hi
    Thanks for the ideas, im teaching lower intermediate level students so im sure they'll work.If u have any more I'd love to hear them.
    Thanks