• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

revenge / avenge

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the difference between the meaning of the words in bold in the following sentence?

"Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord."

I know that "avenge" = "take revenge for" = "revenge" = "vindicate" = "get satisfaction" = "repay"

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Smile Re: revenge / avenge

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to explain to me the difference between the meaning of the words in bold in the following sentence?

"Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord."

I know that "avenge" = "take revenge for" = "revenge" = "vindicate" = "get satisfaction" = "repay"

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    The expressions in which we use the word "revenge" mean the same thing as "avenge". The difference is that "revenge" is a noun and "avenge" is a verb. Therefore, we use "revenge" in these expressions, "seek revenge", take revenge". The word "avenge" is a verb, so we use it in a different way, but the meaning is still the same.

I would refer to Cambridge Dictionaries for examples and better understanding.

avenge

revenge The word "revenge" can be used as a verb, but I think it's more commonly used as a noun.

Here are some related expressions: get back at 'someone', get even with 'someone', seek revenge, get revenge.

Here are some other dictionary links:

Dictionaries