• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

freebie or giveaway

Hi there,

I wonder if you could give me some French equivalent for the names "giveaway", or "freebie"...

And, is there any difference between the two English usages?
    Thanks in advance...

Re: freebie or giveaway

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi there,

I wonder if you could give me some French equivalent for the names "giveaway", or "freebie"...

And, is there any difference between the two English usages?
    Thanks in advance...
    The French equivalents can be found at Answers.com. To understand the difference between "freebie" and "giveaway", I'd follow the links below. Freebie is slang, and it comes from the word "free", as in no-cost, and giveaway is a compound noun, which is considered informal. The word "giveaway" has a broader meaning and is used in more circumstances than "freebie".

Freebie Français (French) n. - faveur, extra

giveaway Français (French) n. - révélateur, preuve, cadeau adj. - révélateur, accablant, donné/pas cher

[Just because a word is informal, by the way, does not mean that it's used only in informal places and at informal times. Labels such as "informal" as applied to vocabulary can be misleading and allow some to believe that it is not wise to use a particular word in a certain place or at a certain time when this is really not the case.]