Exclamation in vs for

Hello there.

Which is correct?

I am able to do this homework for an hour.
    I am able to do this homework in an hour.

Please help me!

Smile Re: in vs for

Quote Originally Posted by gchman View Post
    Hello there.

Which is correct?

I am able to do this homework for an hour.
    I am able to do this homework in an hour.

Please help me!
    Both sentences are correct. You would choose to use "in" or "for' depending on what you mean to say. They have different meanings.

I am able to do this homework for an hour. - I have to stop doing this homework after an hour has passed. It's too difficult, for example, or it gives me a headache. I need to stop after an hour, and then I can continue with it again later.

I am able to do this homework in an hour. - I do not need more than an hour to finish this homework.

I am able to do this homework in an hour. - I can finish this homework within the specified time frame of an hour. I don't need more than an hour. The time it takes me to finish this homework will not exceed one hour. ________________________________60 minutes|in an hour

I am able to do this homework for an hour. - I can only dedicate an hour of time to this homework, and then I have to stop. This homework can only possess, use, or consume an hour of my time.

This is my homework's hour.
    _____one hour____

It can't have anymore time. I can only give it an hour.
    Last edited by PROESL; 03-Aug-2009 at 03:36. Reason: I left out a word - typing fast

Smile Re: in vs for

Thank you for your kind answer, PROESL.
    It's very helpful.