Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 27
    #1

    Post ~~plz tell me this....~~

    i got this piont from one of a indian television show:

    It was like this::::::::

    1.....I kept telling her..........( then what is the meaning of, I was kept telling her))

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #2

    Re: ~~plz tell me this....~~

    Quote Originally Posted by sonia123 View Post
    i got this piont from one of a indian television show:

    It was like this::::::::

    1.....I kept telling her..........( then what is the meaning of, I was kept telling her))
    'I kept telling her...'(not I was kept) means I told her something repeatedly.


    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 27
    #3

    Re: ~~plz tell me this....~~

    but then what is the meaning of :::::::::::::::
    I was kept telling her???????????????????????????????

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: ~~plz tell me this....~~

    Quote Originally Posted by sonia123 View Post
    but then what is the meaning of :::::::::::::::
    I was kept telling her???????????????????????????????
    'I was kept...' is incorrect. 'I was' is the past tense of 'I am' and 'kept' is the simple past and past participle of the verb 'to keep'. It should be; 'I kept telling her...'


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: ~~plz tell me this....~~

    Unless there was a mishearing, and the sentence was "I was kept [there] ..." or "I was kept [from] ..."


    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 27
    #6

    Post Re: ~~plz tell me this....~~

    Thankx sir,

    But ing. always used with is/am/are/was/were/
    But i kept telling u(there is no use of these verbs)??? so m very confused. This is a simple thing, but i cannot understand this.
    Plz help me.

    Like:;:::::i was telling u, i was reading book, i was watching tv....n so.... there is was/were/is/am/are/..............+ verb+ing...........

    I kept telling u( has no use of these verbs?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so why not .......
    i was kept telling u................


  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #7

    Re: ~~plz tell me this....~~

    Quote Originally Posted by sonia123 View Post
    Thankx sir,

    But ing. always used with is/am/are/was/were/
    But i kept telling u(there is no use of these verbs)??? so m very confused. This is a simple thing, but i cannot understand this.
    Plz help me.

    Like:;:::::i was telling u, i was reading book, i was watching tv....n so.... there is was/were/is/am/are/..............+ verb+ing...........

    I kept telling u( has no use of these verbs?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so why not .......
    i was kept telling u................

    It's because of 'kept' Sonia, I kept telling you; I kept reading the book; I kept watching tv etc. You are right that we use the 'ing' form of the verb with 'be' in the present/past continuous in most cases, but not with kept; continued; went on; stopped etc.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •