Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,661
    #1

    Phonics & IPA

    For teaching primary students in private tutorials in HongKong, shall I use Jolly Phonics or International Phonetics (IPA)


    I can see IPA is using the phonetic symbols which have being used by most of the dictionaries, eg Oxford, Longman...etc


    2) What are the differences between phonics, Jolly phonics and IPA.

    3) I don't understand that I can see the advert of Phonics everywhere which seems popular, but IPA has still being used in most dictionaries. Does it mean IPA still the most reliable one in the market.

    4) May I have your valuable advice based on my financial burden to invest on learning materials and urgency in picking up the technique? (I have already got a textbook and CD of 'International Phonetics')


    Your prompt reply will be very much appreciated.

    ju

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #2

    Re: Phonics & IPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    For teaching primary students in private tutorials in HongKong, shall I use Jolly Phonics or International Phonetics (IPA)


    I can see IPA is using the phonetic symbols which have being used by most of the dictionaries, eg Oxford, Longman...etc


    2) What are the differences between phonics, Jolly phonics and IPA.

    3) I don't understand that I can see the advert of Phonics everywhere which seems popular, but IPA has still being used in most dictionaries. Does it mean IPA still the most reliable one in the market.

    4) May I have your valuable advice based on my financial burden to invest on learning materials and urgency in picking up the technique? (I have already got a textbook and CD of 'International Phonetics')


    Your prompt reply will be very much appreciated.

    ju
    They are completely different things.

    Jolly phonics is a method for teaching the sounds of English to children. It was developed a few years ago, and has been packaged for sale. It uses a simple system for transcribing sounds.

    The IPA alphabet is a method of transcibing all the sounds in world languages, so that each symbol corresponds to one sound, and each sound has only one symbol. There are other phonetic alphabets like this, but the IPA alphabet has the most support. IPA is not a teaching method.
    "IPA" actually refers to the International Phonetic Association, which developed the symbols. These symbols have been used for a hundred years or so, with some modifications.
    International Phonetic Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    IPA doesn't need advertising. Their material is freely available.
    Jolly phonics is a teaching method developed by a private company. You have to pay for it - that's why they advertise.

    There is absolutely no need to pick up the "Jolly phonics" technique.
    Do you already have a technique that teaches the sounds of English correctly to your students? If yes, then you don't need Jolly phonics.
    You could download all their free material and use some of their methods if you find them useful - for example "The Actions" in their free information download might be useful. But you definitely do not have to buy all of the products they are advertising - that is, unless you decide to use the method.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 1,661
    #3

    Re: Phonics & IPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    They are completely different things.

    Jolly phonics is a method for teaching the sounds of English to children. It was developed a few years ago, and has been packaged for sale. It uses a simple system for transcribing sounds.

    The IPA alphabet is a method of transcibing all the sounds in world languages, so that each symbol corresponds to one sound, and each sound has only one symbol. There are other phonetic alphabets like this, but the IPA alphabet has the most support. IPA is not a teaching method.
    "IPA" actually refers to the International Phonetic Association, which developed the symbols. These symbols have been used for a hundred years or so, with some modifications.
    International Phonetic Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    IPA doesn't need advertising. Their material is freely available.
    Jolly phonics is a teaching method developed by a private company. You have to pay for it - that's why they advertise.

    There is absolutely no need to pick up the "Jolly phonics" technique.
    Do you already have a technique that teaches the sounds of English correctly to your students? If yes, then you don't need Jolly phonics.
    You could download all their free material and use some of their methods if you find them useful - for example "The Actions" in their free information download might be useful. But you definitely do not have to buy all of the products they are advertising - that is, unless you decide to use the method.
    Thank you for your reply.

    My problem is I don't have a technique that teaches the sounds of English
    correctly to my private students. Can you suggest one which is easy to pick up for teachers and students in HongKong?

    ju

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #4

    Re: Phonics & IPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

    My problem is I don't have a technique that teaches the sounds of English
    correctly to my private students. Can you suggest one which is easy to pick up for teachers and students in HongKong?

    ju
    No, sorry. Teaching phonics to children is not my speciality.
    Someone else might be able to help you choose an inexpensive method.

Similar Threads

  1. phonics...
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2009, 13:34
  2. phonics
    By peter123 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2008, 21:46
  3. phonics for yl
    By eflnow in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2006, 14:16
  4. Using phonics to improve English pronunciation.
    By wdragon in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2006, 06:37
  5. Question for teachers - Have you used Hooked on Phonics?
    By englishstudent in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2005, 13:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •