• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

you are three parts drunk/ scores/ to the core

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether Iím right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

"My dear fellow," replied Danglars, "you are three parts drunk; finish the bottle, and you will be completely so.

you are three part drunk = you are as drunk as a fish = you are blind drunk

As Dr. McMillen says, he knew that a forgiving spirit would save us from "ulcerative colitis, toxic goiters, high blood pressure, and scores of other diseases"6 which would include ulcers, asthma, arthritis, and heart ailments.

scores = large numbers

John wrote, "But Jesus didn't trust them, for he knew mankind to the core. No one needed to tell him how changeable human nature is!"

to the core = to the marrow of o.ís bones = to the backbone, entirely, completely

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: you are three parts drunk/ scores/ to the core

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether Iím right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

"My dear fellow," replied Danglars, "you are three parts drunk; finish the bottle, and you will be completely so.

you are three part drunk = you are as drunk as a fish = you are blind drunk

No - you are not yet drunk but by finishing the bottle it will not be long before you are. Look at it as if on a scale of 1 > 4 = 1 sober 2 Merry 3 Not quite in control 4 Quite incapable.

As Dr. McMillen says, he knew that a forgiving spirit would save us from "ulcerative colitis, toxic goiters, high blood pressure, and scores of other diseases"6 which would include ulcers, asthma, arthritis, and heart ailments.

scores = large numbers

John wrote, "But Jesus didn't trust them, for he knew mankind to the core. No one needed to tell him how changeable human nature is!"

to the core = to the marrow of o.ís bones = to the backbone, entirely, completely

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.