• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Question C2DEs=?

'Every time George Alagaiah waves his hands in the air, trying to be conversational with the viewers, a little part of me dies,' says one traditionalist. 'Jay Hunt loves that sort of connecting-to-the-public thing. She is obsessed with reaching down to the lowest section of the viewing public - the C2DEs, as she calls them.' It's shorthand for what used to be called the working class.
    Read more: Lean-lipped, humourless, the killer kitten who is steering Auntie on to the rocks | Mail Online

Hello!

What does C2DE stand for? Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: C2DEs=?

Hello Anglika,

Thank you very much for your help.

I have another related questions as below. Could you please help me out again?

1. Why do people use C2DEs to refer to working class or lowest class? Does it sound polite?

2. Do most native speakers understand what C2DEs refer to? Or just Britons understand it since it is just used in the UK and Ireland as the Wikipedia indicates?

Is it polite? Well, if you are politically correct, then yes. Though there is a backlash in that people are beginning to claim that they are working class, which is a term they feel comfortable with using.

Most people pay no attention to this system unless their work requires it. Journalists will use it as it takes less space on a page and shows that they are "up to date".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Many thanks, Anglika. I've understood.