• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

in the wind/ spy/ with all his might and main

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether Iím right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

His master therefore was tired of keeping him and began to think of putting an end to him; but the ass, who saw that some mischief was in the wind, took himself slyly off, and began his journey towards the great city.

in the wind = likely to occur; in the offing

After he had traveled a little way, he spied a dog lying by the roadside and panting as if he were tired.

spy = to catch sight of

Soon afterward, as they were passing by a farmyard, they saw a cock perched upon a gate, and screaming out with all his might and main.

with all his might and main = for all he is worth = with full blast

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: in the wind/ spy/ with all his might and main

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether Iím right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

His master therefore was tired of keeping him and began to think of putting an end to him; but the ass, who saw that some mischief was in the wind, took himself slyly off, and began his journey towards the great city.

in the wind = likely to occur; in the offing

After he had traveled a little way, he spied a dog lying by the roadside and panting as if he were tired.

spy = to catch sight of

Soon afterward, as they were passing by a farmyard, they saw a cock perched upon a gate, and screaming out with all his might and main.

with all his might and main = for all he is worth = at full blast

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.