Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 32
    #1

    Red face Why is this wrong?

    Hello everyone!
    My teacher told me that this sentence was incorrect:

    I would recommend her not to use so many expressions of disapproval

    Paraphrasing, i got it right, but i didnīt dare to ask her why it was wrong.
    Can you help me?
    Thanks!

  1. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #2

    Re: Why is this wrong?

    The verb recommend takes a clause as its object:

    I would recommend to her that she not to use ...
    I would recommend that she not use ...
    I would recommend she not ...

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,104
    #3

    Re: Why is this wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by pato389 View Post
    Hello everyone!
    My teacher told me that this sentence was incorrect:

    I would recommend her not to use so many expressions of disapproval

    Paraphrasing, i got it right, but i didnīt dare to ask her why it was wrong.
    Can you help me?
    Thanks!
    My guess is that she doesn't like "her" as an object of "recommend", i.e. it should be "recommend to her".
    Either that, or she thinks it should be:
    I would recommend her not using so many expressions of disapproval. OR
    I would recommend (that) she not use so many expressions of disapproval.

    I prefer the last sentence grammatically, but the original is correct in colloquial English. Others might disagree.

  3. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #4

    Re: Why is this wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    The verb recommend takes a clause as its object:

    I would recommend to her that she not to use ...
    I would recommend that she not use ...
    I would recommend she not ...
    Typo.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #5

    Re: Why is this wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    My guess is that she doesn't like "her" as an object of "recommend", i.e. it should be "recommend to her".
    Either that, or she thinks it should be:
    I would recommend her not using so many expressions of disapproval. OR
    I would recommend (that) she not use so many expressions of disapproval.

    I prefer the last sentence grammatically, but the original is correct in colloquial English. Others might disagree.
    I agree, I would use the last sentence as well. The first one is correct too, as far as I'm concerned.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 32
    #6

    Re: Why is this wrong?

    Thank you all so much. If I hadnīt ask you I would have never guessed what you told me.
    You were of great help!

Similar Threads

  1. wrong of you/ for you to do sth
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Apr-2010, 10:11
  2. Choose the wrong word or phrase.
    By vv0510_vn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2009, 11:40
  3. [Grammar] Took the/a wrong bus
    By Snappy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 13-Apr-2009, 05:36
  4. [General] to the wrong person or to a wrong person?
    By ohmyrichard in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2009, 07:13
  5. Right or wrong please?
    By timanura in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2007, 14:51

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •