Page 6 of 13 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last
    AlainK Guest

Re: What word do you think is the hardest to pronounce???

Thanks to the site having been updated, I can read more messages now

Like many foreigners, I find "clothes" difficult (eshpeshially on Monday mornings), but it took me even more time to say things like "thirty-three packets of crisps" in an acceptable way.
    "Crisps" is very hard for French pupils, those who don't say "crips" are a small minority...
    Of course, chips is no prob.

Alain
    Last edited by AlainK; 12-Oct-2005 at 19:55.

Hi everyone
    I'm new here and I find it really interesting to see what you consider as a hard word to pronounce. I'm going to be an English teacher soon and I really wanted to know if anyone gave you at your school any pronunciation lessons because we had none.
    I find the words "worth" and "world" hard to pronounce, and in generally the combination of "th" inside a word is frustrating!!
    How I envy those native speakers!!!!!!!
    Good Luck to you all
    Ravit

Heya everyone! I found this topic so interesting, I had to join. :) Found this by googling. :p

As a finnish person, I think I've kind of an advantage for pronouncing in overall. I mean, we have couple letters that not that many languages have.

In addition to normal vowels we have two freaky ones and (capitals)

pronounces like "Angry"

prounces like "Earth"

Also we have this NG-thing that pronounces just like aNGry.

...not to mention that we pronounce our alphabeth differently than native US/UK do. Eg. your A pronounces like our E. And your E pronounces like our I and your I is quite close to our A (just take the first part of the ..."sound")

Well anyways - it's relatively easy for a finnish to speak and pronounce english (US/UK) "correctly", but it's REALLY hard for the native speakers to pronounce finnish right - it seriously takes time.

Hardest english words I find to pronounce are - my tongue just ...stucks! :)

Invulnerability - the most difficult for sure!
    Individuals
    Interpreted
    Implementation
    Participate
    Prejudice
    Recognize (since our A-E-I - I get mixed up!)

And just imagine using these midst sentences - dear god.. :)

The participated individuals are recognized without any prejudice although they interpreted word "invulnerability" without any hesitation in most of the implementation.

Please comment something. :)

--Floridan broileri!
    Last edited by Pride; 15-Nov-2005 at 00:27.

FOCUS...it is not very hard to pronunce, but it is dangerous to misspronunce it in a serious situation

Quote Originally Posted by Pride
    it's relatively easy for a finnish to speak and pronounce english (US/UK) "correctly"
    Who told you that?
    You have the perception that since English is "relatively easy", then you must be speaking and pronouncing it "correctly". As a native English speaker, I can assure you that Finnish speakers have no advantages over speakers of any other language. I hear the usual missing "th" sounds, the inability to hear and implement many of the "lax" vowels, as well as incorrect stress/timing/rhythm, and missing articles among other things.

I`m attempting to learn German, and find the pronunciation fairly straightforward (except for the "ch" sound). I wouldn`t be so presumptuous as to think I pronounce it "correctly" though. That can only be judged accurately by a native speaker, don`t ya think?

I can say aberystwyth in one breath :)

Wink Re: What word do you think is the hardest to pronounce???

Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed
    Who told you that?
    You have the perception that since English is "relatively easy", then you must be speaking and pronouncing it "correctly". As a native English speaker, I can assure you that Finnish speakers have no advantages over speakers of any other language. I hear the usual missing "th" sounds, the inability to hear and implement many of the "lax" vowels, as well as incorrect stress/timing/rhythm, and missing articles among other things.
    I`m attempting to learn German, and find the pronunciation fairly straightforward (except for the "ch" sound). I wouldn`t be so presumptuous as to think I pronounce it "correctly" though. That can only be judged accurately by a native speaker, don`t ya think?
    sorry, but it is not what I meant...I wrote FOCUS to give a sample of the hardest words to pronunce. My intention is to show the similarity with the expressions "fuck us" or "fuck you". Im a Spanish speaker and those words represent confussions sometimes....

hai to every one

first of all i have problems with the englishj pronunciation

so i need to develop it first

thanks

Hello, for me it is not a word, But the title of a movie called THE NEXT BEST THING, it is so hard for me to pronounce it well.

10. Re: What word do you think is the hardest to pronounce???

I'm a native speaker, so all these words don't give me trouble. But what IS hard for me is saying "anonymity". I keep either adding syllables or leaving out syllables.

Page 6 of 13 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last