Results 1 to 10 of 10

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #1

    multiple choice

    We ……………… to early and by the end of the morning the house looked spick and span.
    A.embarked B.started C.set D.attended

    The mansion ………………………… his daughter and thereby Mary needn’t move.
    A.homes in on B.vests in C.passes for D.lays by

    Tell me your choices, please.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #2

    Re: multiple choice


  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #3

    Re: multiple choice

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    I think vest in doesn't seem to fit in your sentence, unless made passive. The mansion does not have the power to vest itself in somebody, does it?

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #4

    Re: multiple choice

    [1] We ……………… too early and by the end of the morning the house looked spic and span.

    Embark also means to commence, venture into, and so in that sense it could work if you view cleaning a messy, dirty house as such, but I am skeptical as it just doesn't sound like Modern English.

    A. embarked
    B. started <see C.>
    C. set <isn't compatible with the semantics of too early>
    D. attended < something; to + something>


    [2] The mansion ………………………… his daughter and thereby Mary needn’t move.

    A. homes in on <two prepositions?>
    B. vests in
    C. passes for <passed to?>
    D. lays by <?>

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #5

    Re: multiple choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    [1] We ……………… too early and by the end of the morning the house looked spic and span.

    Embark also means to commence, venture into, and so in that sense it could work if you view cleaning a messy, dirty house as such, but I am skeptical as it just doesn't sound like Modern English.
    Soup, I am sure I am right in saying that this is a use of the phrasal verb 'to set to' meaning 'to start with energy'.

    We set to early and by the end of the morning the house looked spic and span.

    Then this is correct.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #6

    Re: multiple choice

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post

    The mansion ………………………… his daughter and thereby Mary needn’t move.
    A.homes in on B.vests in C.passes for D.lays by

    Tell me your choices, please.
    '...is vested in...' would be ok.


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #7

    Re: multiple choice

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    We set to early and by the end of the morning the house looked spic and span.

    Then this is correct.
    Thanks to all of you for your contributions to the topic.
    What is 'to' in 'set to'? Is it an infinitive marker or a prep? In either case I am a bit lost.
    Adjectives with abstract reference can assume complement role of preps, as in, on the sly; in short; etc.; but I seriously doubt that the same is the case here. What do you think?

    Regarding the other sentence, yes indeed, the word is to be passivized to fit the sentence. So none of the provided options work.

    EDIT:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...3470&dict=CALD
    in 'set to', 'to' seems like an adverb particle. But then everything has fallen into place.
    Last edited by svartnik; 09-Aug-2009 at 21:07.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: multiple choice

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    We ……………… to early and by the end of the morning the house looked spick and span.
    A.embarked B.started C.set D.attended

    The mansion ………………………… his daughter and thereby Mary needn’t move.
    A.homes in on B.vests in C.passes for D.lays by

    Tell me your choices, please.
    The mansion passes for his daughter ... = The mansion is good enough for his daughter ...
    to pass = to be good enough.

    And I agree with 'set to'. Phrasal verb forms with 'set' are not rare. Compare:
    We set out at dawn. We set off on our adventure.

  6. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #9

    Re: multiple choice

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Soup, I am sure I am right in saying that this is a use of the phrasal verb 'to set to' meaning 'to start with energy'.

    We set to early and by the end of the morning the house looked spic and span.

    Then this is correct.
    I believe you're right. It's a new phrase to my eyes and ears but nevertheless workable.

    Thanks.

  7. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #10

    Re: multiple choice

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    I believe you're right. It's a new phrase to my eyes and ears but nevertheless workable.

    Thanks.
    'To set to' is very commonly used in BrE in this sort of context: "We set to early and by the end of the morning the house looked spic and span". "Come on, let's set to and get this job finished!"
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 10-Aug-2009 at 08:50. Reason: Afterthought

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] 5 multiple choice questions
    By ohmyrichard in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2009, 16:52
  2. [Grammar] four multiple choice questions
    By ohmyrichard in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2008, 16:58
  3. English language multiple choice question
    By boycoixuong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2008, 12:13
  4. multiple choice question (tense)
    By newbie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2008, 08:15

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •