• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

merritt35

In an attempt to avoid further declension of American English, could your forum address the correct usage of the verb pair bring and take? My teeth ache when someone comments that he or she is going to "bring this over to my cousin's house", that being grammatically impossible. Further, the same might be done for the word pair anxious and eager, one having the connotation of negative and the other positive, respectively. Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: merritt35

Quote Originally Posted by merritt35 View Post
    In an attempt to avoid further declension of American English, could your forum address the correct usage of the verb pair bring and take? My teeth ache when someone comments that he or she is going to "bring this over to my cousin's house", that being grammatically impossible. Further, the same might be done for the word pair anxious and eager, one having the connotation of negative and the other positive, respectively. Thanks.
    In Irish English, 'bring' is used in this way because it is the direct translation from Gaelic. I think that American English has been influenced by Irish English in this and other respects.