• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Kuwait
      • Current Location:
      • Kuwait

Do I have to do this

Do I have to memorize a lot proverbs in the process of learning English?and to what extent do British or Americans use them in daily life communication?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Do I have to do this

Quote Originally Posted by fuadha View Post
    Do I have to memorize a lot proverbs in the process of learning English?and to what extent do British or Americans use them in daily life communication?

There's more a lot to proverbs than thought by the nonnative speakers of a language...as you know proverbs are culturally originated and it's less likely for you to use them in the right context unless you know enough about what's going on in that society among its people...I'd learn a few interesting ones just to improve my comprehending of that language...so try to focus on other aspects of the language...hope it helps...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Do I have to do this

Quote Originally Posted by fuadha View Post
    I don't think memorising them is necessarily the way to go. If you're talking to native English speakers and you hear a proverb that you like, then it's worth asking for it to be repeated and explained. But I wouldn't suggest learning them from a list as you will almost certainly end up with a lot of information you'll never use.

As far as daily life is concerned, I would say we use idioms more often than proverbs.