Using Transitions and Connecting Words - PLEASE CORRECT MY SENTENCES

• Every summer friends and I taking dancing classes for fun, although we are doing it for the purpose of loosing wait.

• I am very tired; therefore I can not go swimming today.

• Most of my family members are vegetarians, besides me.

• Mom and I went golfing, meanwhile my brother stayed at home and playing video games.

• Lately the City of Vancouver is very busy organizing the 2010 Olympic games, but other cities are helping as well.

• Finally she got her results from University of British Columbia, so she will go ahead with the registration.

• My goal to improve my writing skills, however I need to study hard and improve it.

• After he turns twenty one, her beliefs in religious starting to crumble.

• Our English teacher was astonished by James improvement on his reading, regardless his missing few classes for no important reasons.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Using Transitions and Connecting Words - PLEASE CORRECT MY SENTENCES

Quote Originally Posted by lindalinda1228 View Post
    • Every summer friends and I take dancing classes for fun, although we are doing it for the purpose of losing weight.

This sounds strange. it would be better as: Every summer friends and I take dancing classes for fun as well as for the purpose of losing weight.

• I am very tired; therefore I can not go swimming today. OK

• Most of my family members are vegetarians, besides me.

I'd go with "apart from me", but "besides" is acceptable.

• Mom and I went golfing, whilemy brother stayed at home and playing video games.

No, "meanwhile" isn't a conjunction.
    You could write: Mom and I went golfing. Meanwhile my brother stayed at home and playing video games.

• Lately the City of Vancouver is very busy organizing the 2010 Olympic games, but other cities are helping as well.

Lately, the City of Vancouver has been very busy ...
    • Finally she got her results from University of British Columbia, so she will go ahead with the registration. OK

• My goal is to improve my writing skills, however I need to study hard and to improve it them.

Skills is plural. You are studying to improve your skills, not your goal.

• After he turned twenty one, her beliefs in religion starting to crumble.

he ... her ?

• Our English teacher was astonished by James' improvement on his reading, regardless despite his missing a few classes for no important reasons.
    R.